Thread: My Thracioth map walk-thru (Photoshop)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

STEP TWO: COLOR PALETTE SKETCHES

Next I like to at least get a vague idea of my color scheme. I could skip this part, but since I'm lousy at color-coordination (you guys should see the way I dress, for pity's sake!) I want to play around a bit now when it is still just "play."

I create a new layer called "sketch colors" and choose out some light colors to throw next to one another to see if they are friendly and will play nice. I erase a lot here & don't even try to be neat; this is just for later reference. (see image below).

One thing I personally do is find two to three colors that will dominate all others; in this case it will be green (dragon/sea), brown (land), and gold (frame). Most every color on the map will be derivatives of these three.

Once I feel fairly confident with the general color scheme, I also add a "sketch background color" layer & play with background colors. I'm not sure how much I like the darker brown, but it works well enough for now. (The image I attached of this also includes my desktop, just in case anyone wants to see that, too.)

SAVE YOUR WORK! Save often, & every once in awhile save under a different file name. (Voice of experience here! Save so often you feel ashamed for being this cowardly!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thracioth3_color_sketch_screen_167.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thracioth2_color_sketch_113.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	371  
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]