Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: make water

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Frogger!!! Great game I spent countless hours playing in the arcades of my youth!

Not a gimp user so can't help you on the texture construction, but thanks for the blast from the past!

i made this but i cant do bas relief in gimp when i followed this tutorialhttp://www.tutorialdash.com/tutorial/adobe-photoshop/special-effects/view/Create-Realistic-Water_77373
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterD.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	13748  

Blog Entries

It was surprisingly easy to make really nice water textures in Photoshop, but really hard to get them to look good tiled. The procedure was simple enough:

1. Decide what size you want your finished tile to be (500 for example)
    2. Make the initial image 500 wide by 1500 tall
    3. Apply your water texture (in Photoshop its simply clouds then chrome then color)
    4. Now resize your image to 500 by 500, forcing the texture to be horizontal
    5. Offset the image by 250 pixels down and right
    6. Now you have a big "+" through the middle of your image
    7. Zoom in and smudge the border until it looks natural

Now that last parts sounds hard, but it isn't... or at least it isn't hard to make the border disappear. But you loose sight of the big picture (literally) when you're doing that, and while the fact that there was a sharp border in the middle of your tile is cleverly disguised, the human eye still easily picks up the "zones" where the quadrants were. To prevent this, I suggest trying to use a water texture that is fairly uniform in color to begin with, and won't quarter in such a way as to force two starkly different color quadrants to sit next to each other. You should also look at your image from a holistic view, and further smudge to make it look more natural.

Hey... it's an art. You're an artist. A match made in heaven!

Here is my less-than-satisfactory result. Would appreciate any pointers that I haven't already arrived at on my own.

Name:  Water Texture Tile 1.png
Views: 67
Size:  52.5 KB

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That looks like my pool, coolness.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12