Your absolute best bet would be to probably go run through some very basic GIMP tutorials to learn the simpler side of image manipulation. Drawing or arranging digitally is easy once you learn the basics of the software you're using.

You're of course welcomed to go through our mapping tutorials here, but you may want to go through some 'get familiar with gimp' tutorials on the web.

I don't know where the best place to go for those are, but I bet some of our gimp users could point you in the right direction..And you'd be surprised how much help it could be to put aside the map venture for even so much as 2 days just to work on some random gimp tutorials...you'll come out of those 2 days MUCH more familiar with the tools.

However, my biggest advice to you as a mapper is more of a realization...you've broken what I consider rule number 1 when it comes to cartography; you've let it get to you and frustrate you. We can fix that, I'm glad you came here before giving up on your project...That tells me that google is doing its job Lets get that map of yours lookin good!