Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't post images thru Attachment Manager

Did you try with a few different files, out of curiosity?

Also, does the offending colon show up in the dialog box, or do you get an error message after the fact that says something like:

xxx.jpg: File is not an image

I meant to add: this error message can apparently occur if there is a mismatch between the vbulletin max upload size and the apache/web server max upload size. That would only occur if your image fell in what I guess is a fairly small range close to the max upload size (if there even is a mismatch). So if you cannot upload a much smaller image then this isn't the problem.
    Last edited by msa; 05-28-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Post I figured it out!

I figured it out, it was a problem with the file. I resaved the original and somehow it didn't compress like it did before and it was too big to upload. I got the same file to upload, once I fixed the problem.

Whew! I feared something more serious.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

EDIT: you can delete this thread if you want, CLs, anyone?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I figured it out, it was a problem with the file.
    It didn't really help that the error message was completely useless. I'd think vBulletin has been around long enough that they might have added a 'file too big' message to replace it. LOL!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    EDIT: you can delete this thread if you want, CLs, anyone?
    Prob worth keeping around in case anyone else gets hit with the same issue. I did a search on vBulletin and colon and did not come up with anything - lets let google do something useful with it.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thats very odd...I'll check the vbulletin support guys and see if they have anything to say...sorry it took me so long to get to. Divorce crap has me messed up this week lol.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

GP had it sorted now despite the way my last post reads. He has hit a 2Mb file limit and the error string was blank for some reason. Theres no big deal show stopper to fix.

Blog Entries

Ahh... so the colon was supposed to be ": <error description here>" but because there was no error text definied, it just wound up being ":"?

Makes sense.

Out of curiousity, Arcana (or anyone 'in the know'), what is the upper limit for this;

Attachment Statistics
    You are currently using 56.93 MB to store 32 uploaded attachments.

Another question; On a couple of attachments, I tried to upload a file that exceeded the size limit, and somehow the file size became less than a Mb. How does that happen?
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 05-31-2009 at 12:54 PM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

I'm glad my suggestion was right. As a tech geek, I find that googling:

+app_name "error message"

Will solve 95% of problems. In this case, the following string brought me to the solution I suggested:

+vbulletin "File is not an image"

I was mulling over the unhelpful error message, and my theory may help you feral. I believe that appache (or whatever web server hosts this site) was truncating uploads to ~2MB. This causes them to appear to be invalid jpegs, hence the error message. So if you have a lot of incomplete files that are around that limit, it could be the problem.

I might be wrong about the limit, though, redrobes can probably give more info on that.

Oops, sorry you misunderstood, msa. I never recieved an error message. My questions were more about the attachment manager itself than the thread topic.

Your comment
    Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    I believe that appache (or whatever web server hosts this site) was truncating uploads to ~2MB.
    may explain the adjustments to file size, but if I upload a file that is 4.5MB, it remains unchanged. (Whereas if I try to upload a 5.5MB file, it is altered to about 800KB.) Just a technical question that I thought if I knew the answer as to why, when, and how it happens I might be able to take advantage of.
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 05-31-2009 at 03:21 PM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast