Wow. Thank you so much for the effusive praise guys. I know there's an element of encouraging the newbie involved and I appreciate it. I'd do the same in your shoes.

I have done a version with a more subtle compass rose, and one more in keeping with the cartouche. It took some searching to find it as the map that the cartouche came from and others like it seem to have a dearth of compass roses. I guess they'd fallen out of vogue for a time.

Anyhow, I wanted to stay with a Scottish rose, or at least one from the Isles. I found this: http://archivemaps.com/mapco/scotland/compass.htm. The compass is enormous and has insane amounts of detail. Those of you who enjoy staring at currency with a monocle will appreciate it. The compass itself is actually larger than my map before shrinkage. And it's Scottish.

The effect is definitely subtle. Please let me know what you think about this one versus the earlier one.

PS: I changed the hue of the original rose to green of the shade used on the cartouche background like you suggested Ascension, but it still "popped" in spite of the earthier, darker color. That rose was just not meant to blend.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingdom of Faldanore5.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	14002