Thread: Dunderhill Island Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

Yet another iteration. Everything is better now, I think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunderhill map v4.jpg 
Views:	2513 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	14022  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I agree, very nice. Don't take this the wrong way but I'd throw out the swamps and forests...don't really need them. The mountains still need some work but I don't know enough about Gimp to help ya.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Those rivers are stupid awesome, how'd you go about putting those together?
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Your map is pleasing to the eye and I think you have a good knack for this. I think the mountain style is a bit odd though. We don't have any mountains here in Florida, yet I find your mountains strangely familiar.
    Come to think of it, that may in part explain my trouble with mountains - we don't have any mountains here in Denmark either!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I agree, very nice. Don't take this the wrong way but I'd throw out the swamps and forests...don't really need them. The mountains still need some work but I don't know enough about Gimp to help ya.
    Yeah, the swamp blotch isn't really working... maybe use symbols?

and I guess the trees are way too big compared to the mountains and all, even tough they're just representations. I wasn't too happy with the first kind of forest I got (the first two iterations), so I figured I'd at least try this out. I do want to show the forest being there somehow... Ah well, all in the name of learning

Quote Originally Posted by Alecthar View Post
    Those rivers are stupid awesome, how'd you go about putting those together?
    Umm, yeah. Wilbur helped me with those. Pretty much just followed the first tutorial for Wilbur, and fiddled with the values until I got something I liked. Then saved to a bump map png imported as layer in Gimp, inverted and thresholded it so only the rivers were visible. Then I added that to my water layer mask, made a selection from the mask and stroked the selection with a single pixel in a new transparent layer and adjusted opacity so it wasn't too hard on the eye.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Could you show us a version without trees and mtns? I'd like to see the basic terrain, it looks pretty nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps