Thread: Brass Nameplate in Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are many ways to do this, the most common is to make a bunch of your own color stripes, blur them, and rotate them. If you wanted something in silver rather than brass you could try one of the numerous brushed metal tuts on the web (there are hundreds). You could also mess around with the bevel on the text to suit what you want or even go all the way and do a lighting effects render (layer of 50% gray, add text, inner gradient stroke of 50% gray to black, merge layers, render lighting, set layer to overlay). All kinds of variations on this, play around and have fun with it.

Cheers, all.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Since the plate is all one layer with several layer effects and a gradient, might I suggest saving those settings to a Style so you can apply it to a new object with a single click?

Window > Styles, click the flyout button in the upper right corner, and choose "New Style." Give it a name, and now whenever you want that same kind of plate, no matter the shape, make the object, open the styles, and click on your custom style.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great tute. I'll have to have a shot at this in Gimp.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Great tute. I'll have to have a shot at this in Gimp.
    OHHH! Please and thank you!!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I went ahead and put the layer styles and the psd file into a zip and added that to the first post.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Wonderfully done Ascension. As I mentioned on the other thread, I spent a good bit of time with this today, mostly because I was trying to get a darker look. The trick turned out to be using different gloss profiles and playing with the courseness ratio on the main gradient.

Thanks for all of your hard work and another fantastic tutorial.