Thread: June Entry: Inn at the End of the World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Weero,

Good point, and I removed the characters from the entry room in the OP. Thanks for pointing that out.

Blog Entries

The great doors open and your senses are assaulted by a riot of color and a raucous din. Within, an enormous room awaits you, littered with dozens of tables, most of which are occupied by small crowds of strange folk, many of whom appear to be in good spirits.

You barely notice the door closing behind you. The great room is round, you realize, and at its center is a bar, also round. At first it seems small by comparison to the room, but as your mind adjusts to the scale of the place, you realize it is quite large. Many of the stools surrounding the bar have tenants, but you have no problem attracting the attention of a rotund man with a cheerful face, who quickly fetches you a mug of ale and a loaf of freshly-baked bread.

As you make your way with your crew to an unoccupied table, you stare in wonder at the many people around you, some members of races that you're completely unfamiliar with. At least half a dozen have horns. Some of the patrons are of races that you recognize, but never expected to see except in battle, such as dark elves and brutish orcs. One gentleman, sitting at a table alone, is so pale and grey of skin, he might have just woken from the grave.

But even this amazing menagerie of people seems ordinary against the background of this place. The floor is covered in pine slats, stained in the pattern of a huge map. Maps large and small decorate the curving walls all around. Some are of such stunning beauty that you find yourself stopping and gaping when they catch your eye.

You reach your table finally, and notice that it too is a map. This one is of some mountainous land with which you are not familiar. The labeling is in some foreign tongue anyhow, but you recognize instantly that the work is the product of a master. The table edge is wooden, but the map spans the inside and a single sheet of perfectly clear glass covers it, no doubt to protect it from spills and dirt.

As you pull up a chair, you look at the tables around you and see that each is similary decorated, and each map is another example of a master cartographer's labor. A dwarf at a nearby table, leaning back in his chair and smoking a long-stemmed pipe, nods at you and chuckles at your slack-jawed wonder. "Tis a sight to behold, is it not lad?"

You stand abruptly, unable to stay seated for long in this place. "My father..." you say, somewhat breathlessly, your eyes taking in a gorgeous topographical map halfway across the room. You shake your head and force your attention and your gaze back to the dwarf. "My father is... was a cartographer. All his life. I grew up around maps. I have seen all of the world countless times through my father's maps. But many of these places I have never seen."

"Aye... aye it amazes even me just how many new things there are to see, even long after you've seen it all."

---------------------------------

This room is the Map Room, and is a WIP (obviously). The chairs and stools came from the Dundjinni forum. The bar, stairs and wood was all created for this project. The tables were hand-made too, although I cannot take credit for the maps. They were made by master cartographers from all across this land (and perhaps some others).

There is still much to do, but I wanted to share with you what I've done so far, and perhaps benefit from suggestions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Map Room.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	737.5 KB 
ID:	14228

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lookin uber sweet my man. The only thing that I can think of is that the floor looks very orange so I might try to bring that back into the tan range (new layer of tan set to color or hue) because I really don't know how to tone down orange...it's either too dark orange or too bright orange (plus nothing rhymes with it so that can be annoying).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Okay, how's this look? It is the nature of my color blindness that darker looks better to me, so I like it, but I don't know if it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Map Room.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	752.2 KB 
ID:	14239

The second one (darker) is moving in the right direction but it's still quite orangey. Could you post up a version of the floor only? No walls, no tables (those are cool by the way), etc. as a png and I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow evening.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

Sorry Ascension, had to hit the rack shortly after I posted that last one.

Having some difficulties getting the file to floor file to upload. The forum keeps converting it to a jpg.

No biggie, man. I've got enough problems dealing with my ex brother-in-law right now anyway.