Thread: New to mapping software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks a lot for your help so far jfrazierjr. I'm working through the tutorial some more and I'm making some progress. Starting to understand why I'm doing stuff and what each thing does.

I'm stuck again at a pretty silly part though. In the second part of the tutorial, he says create a new layer and fill it with 50% grey. I've searched gimp, I've googled, I'm still not sure how to do it. How do I fill the layer with 50% grey?

Quote Originally Posted by schuster View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help so far jfrazierjr. I'm working through the tutorial some more and I'm making some progress. Starting to understand why I'm doing stuff and what each thing does.

I'm stuck again at a pretty silly part though. In the second part of the tutorial, he says create a new layer and fill it with 50% grey. I've searched gimp, I've googled, I'm still not sure how to do it. How do I fill the layer with 50% grey?
    The gray on the palette that's part of the tutorial is 50% gray, but the meaning of the name is that it's the shade of gray that rests exactly in the middle between pure white and pure black. 50% gray is significant because, when using the "Overlay" layer mode, any shades darker than 50% gray darken the image, whereas shades lighter lighten the image. In an Overlay layer 50% gray is completely transparent, except that filters like bump mapping make it through to the layers below the overlay, thus giving you a good way to keep a bump mapped texture on a separate layer from a color, so that you can adjust texture or color without affecting the other.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."