Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
Welcome Aboard!

There are some excellent tutorials for the GIMP here, and a bunch of very knowledgeable users of that program (and also some Paint.Net users too). So don't give up on them yet.
Paint.Net is nice for smooth lines and inking, but it just doesn't have some features that I like (such as the smudge tool).

Gimp, I don't like the interface, but I can get over that. What I don't like is the brushes. Granted, I haven't downloaded any brush sets, but I'm used to just being able take what brushes are in front of me and make them do what I want them to do. Gimp doesn't like me playing with brushes. Heck, it doesn't like me *resizing* brushes. So I tend to open Gimp, think, "This isn't so bad. Why didn't I like this?" then I go to mess with the brushes and I think, "Oh, THAT's why," get frustrated, give up. Maybe I'm missing something, but I usually know my way around paint programs. I also don't like that it doesn't seem to like large files. I like high-resolution, large files so I can zoom way in to do detail work, but when I try to open a file like that in Gimp, I get a notice that the file is bigger than the maximum and the program starts going slowly.

Aaaaand those are my complaints.

I suppose if I had any sort of patience I could just switch between programs to do things, but after a few shots of "Draw a few lines in Paint.Net" then "Switch to Gimp to blend them" I get annoyed.