Hello, everyone.

I do a lot of roleplaying, and have started running some games of my own. I only recently got into making maps for my campaigns (in that I only recently started running a game that needed a detailed map). I have some experience in art but not much, and would like to start making full-color maps (so far I've pretty much used line art). It's a different kind of art project than I've ever done, so I'm still learning the basics.

I have Gimp and Paint.net and am not very happy with either program, but I am still trying to get them to work for me. I can't afford commercial software, however, though I will be checking out some demos in the next few days, so if anyone has any software to recommend, please do.

For my first (real) map I used Sumo Paint, because I did most of the work on a computer where I couldn't install anything, but ran into problems with the fact that I couldn't get "paste" to work so I had to draw every single chair individually... for an entire three-story haunted mansion... By the end of it, some of them didn't even look like chairs anymore

So anyway, I found this site rather randomly by reading another forum where Cartographer's Guild was recommended to someone else. I've read through quite a few of the tutorials and am excited to get to work on coloring my map.