Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: More functionality than photoshop CS4 at a fraction of the price?

It seems to me that the really big issue is the relationship between usability and features. Very easy to have lots of features and poor usability, very hard to have lots of features and good usability. PS has lots of features and so-so usability at best (for me, this is a personal thing to some extent - though most people who love PS and find working it easy have used it an awful lot for an awful long time). I'd happily sacrifice a number of features for better usability. In some ways I do now. I only use PS for those things where there's no good alternative.
    Last edited by dormouse; 06-26-2009 at 06:31 PM.

X3 has pretty much the same menu system as PS, but within those menus it doesn't have as many options....and that's the main difference. For me though, the options X3 lacks (apart from a few) arn't the ones I use anyway.

It does seem as if I ought to have a look at it. When I have time to test it out, that is. I do notice that quite a few reviews still comment on its being slow, even though it might be faster than X2.

Quote Originally Posted by dormouse View Post
    Care to expand?

I have PS & PSE (etc etc), but have never tried X3. There are so many ways in which I can imagine another program might suiting me better than PS (not least Adobe's pricing & upgrade gouging, especially out of the US) that I'm always interested in alternatives.
    Pricing issues aside PS does everything and very very stable. I can remember using PS 3.1 on a MAC in high school. Theres been a lot of development since then. Why would I use a lesser program?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I'd rather have PS then children though, so it is a good trade off (Plus PS is probably cheaper then kids)

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Because it costs a fortune? And you have to sell your children to buy it?
    But what about the pink elephant standing in the corner??

It all depends on what you want and what you can afford. If you can afford PS then that's wonderful, but many people want something similar but not so pricy so they're looking for another option. What I've found about this bit of software is that it's nearly photoshop, (but not quite). It's got more functionality than gimp (layer styles which are incredibly useful in mapping) but fewer than PS.....so pay your money and take your choice.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very helpful Ravs, that last post right there sums it all up quite succinctly. So on a scale it looks like this comes in just below Photoshop but above Paint Shop Pro? Pricier than Gimp (to be certain) but a good way for beginners to learn digital art and eventually move up to PS.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast