Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Topographic Map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That may very well be true, only the italic looking font on the forest was an issue for me, the rest are fine.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The issue with the jpg-iness is probably due to the thinness of the font and its smallish size. Just make it a point or two bigger or try bolding it and see what happens.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Tweaked the fonts somewhat, especially the italicized font. I changed it to good old trusty Times New Roman, and I think it looks much better. It seems to look better when italicized then the font I was using (Garamond). The forest and river labels are now much more legible now.

I also tweaked the political borders somewhat and finished off the large Empire that I want to be the focus of the map. I'm considering cropping the map to focus more on this Empire and its Protectorates. Functionally speaking, the map may just be too big and i don't want the focus of the map to get lost in all the other surrounding details.

Anyways, thanks for the continued feedback.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-7.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	15436  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

It still amazes me as to how much detail you already have in this huge map, how do you come up with so many names. The Times New Roman does look better.

Great work

-D-

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wow!! That is incredibly cool, I love it! It really is looking like it belongs in a full atlas

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I had no problem reading the forest fonts this time, and I applaud you for the patience of doing all that labeling.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Time for my weekly update.

I added a few more things (scale bar, title, and legend) and started sketching in some more national boundaries. Mostly this week has been spent on planning out the rest of the map, but I'm pretty happy with what I've gotten done so far.

I think this is officially the longest I have ever worked on one map, and i still have quite a bit to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-8.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	15645  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Looking very nice!!
    *highly impressed*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by cereth View Post
    I think this is officially the longest I have ever worked on one map, and i still have quite a bit to do.
    You can be very proud of your work though. I like it a lot, it has a nice atlass style.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

The combination scale bar, legend/cartouche thingy fits in very well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast