Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Topographic Map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Agreed, this is truly nice stuff. Very professional. Once you get it done I hope you hang it on a wall...like the one here next to my chair
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I thought I'd go ahead and update my progress, even though I didn't get as much done this last week as I would have liked. A home improvement project ate up most of my time, but did get me some brownie points with the wife, so I guess that's a good trade off.

I'm still trying to figure out how i want to represent some of the unsettled, "barbarian" lands surrounding the established nations. Hopefully it'll just work itself out as I go and will look all right in the end.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-9.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	16180  
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe some kind of light color overlay or crosshatching?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah...now I'm running into a problem exporting the file back into Photoshop. I've been fighting with it for the last several hours and haven't found a solution I like. Before I was able to go back and forth between Illustrator and Photoshop pretty much seamlessly, but now I can't get Illustrator to export the file.

I guess Illustrator has an issue with exporting large files (this one is near 100mb) to Photoshop. I must have crossed some threshold because now it won't work. I get an error saying there is insufficient memory to save the file, even though I have plenty. Apparently I'm not the only person to have this issue. I'm reading various forums but I'm not real pleased with the workarounds presented there.

Its been a month or so since I've tried to export it, but i wanted to go back to photoshop and edit a couple of things in the forest and landmass layers. I guess I'll have to keep playing around with it.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Illustrator sure eats a lot of memory.. I did a large poster (300dpi, something like 1,4m x 1,6m) for this one guy on my old computer. I don't know how long it took to export, but damn I thought many times that my computer just froze or died on me. I had some really interesting moments on that project.. So I believe you when you say have some problems with the software

Here's an updated look at my map. Still haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the "barbarian" lands of the North/North-east. Part of me is thinking of just cropping most of that area out of this map, but the other part of me likes how the map looks with it.

Also gave up trying to export the map back to Photoshop with the layers intact. It's just too big and there are too many objects now.

Anyways, still have some more labeling to do.

Name:	map-10.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.79 MB 
ID:	16570  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Maybe just some kind of 'graying out' with "HERE BE BARBARIANS" or something *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Or stick a giant totem in the ground, with a skull on top
    Greying them out might actually be a good idea...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I took some time off from working on my map (went on vacation, recharged my batteries, etc.), and now that I am back to working on it I am starting to see the finish line ahead. Looking at it with fresh eyes has really helped me out and I have some ideas on how I want to finish it up.

I'm still battling memory errors and struggling with the size of the map a little, but I am looking forward to getting it finished.

Name:	map-12.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	17638  

My Albums - My Portfolio

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That is a great-looking map!

When I was struggling with memory issues before my rebuild (um, and after, since now i can make stuff BIGGER!) I found it was helpful to do a lot of save-a-copy-with-layers, merge-everything steps. That way the working copy never had more than 7 or 8 layers.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast