Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Almost labeled maps...

If you go that route, the cartographers need to be sure that they have the right to distribute any font they include in such a style pack.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    If you go that route, the cartographers need to be sure that they have the right to distribute any font they include in such a style pack.
    It is easy enough to make your own fonts if you have the software... Tell me game printer do you possess inkscape?

As to the bundled fonts, I would go for about 5. Maybe a blocky, detailed but east to read monks print, a cursive, elegant joined-up hand writing and a spider with broken legs crawling through ink as well as two or three others. Do you also do Sci-fi maps?

Old english, lucida handwriting and viner hand could be respective inspirations

Post Inkscape?

I currently do not have or use Inkscape, however, as it is a free program, I should be able to obtain it without a problem. If you can export your Inkscape file to a standard graphics format such as JPG, BMP, or PDF. I can still print whatever you need without needing to have Inkscape.

And I can print any kind of map.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Er, sorry I seem to have made the wrong impression over the faceless internet.

My apologies. I was implying that Vector software such as Inkscape and Illustrator can be used to create such fonts and that it would be better for legal reasons to do so yourself.

As to the question of Sci-fi maps, again I was being somewhat dependent on tone of voice to relate information. I wanted to convey that the bundle of fonts should be applicable to the entire range range of maps (including Sci-fi) rather then just those that appeal to the average DnD player.

If I ever have need of a large-scale map printing I'll know where to go.

Apologies

The point about fonts is a good one. We have a number of resources available to us from the Mapping Elements sub-forum. If an enterprise such as this were to continue, it would probably be best to take a good hard look at the many free fonts forum members have discovered and isolate the ones which possess both a style we wish to have available, and a license that allows for commercial distribution of materials containing the font.
    "Unless I'm allowed to carry around a gun to shoot their giant killer-spiders, Australia needs to stay the hell away from me. Also Australians, who if they have lived this long are obviously agents of the spiders and not to be trusted."

Post Oh, I see what you mean.

Many of the "free fonts" I use have limitations on commercial use. So I sometimes pay for the free fonts for the purpose of commercial use. And I have used font creation software before, so the idea of creating my own fonts that use a similar design as popular map fonts is not out of the question.

I avoid Adobe fonts specifically for this reason. Generally I only use fonts I own.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

reminds me of a stock illustration website, you've probably heard of Illodeli.com

Maybe you can implement high resolution downloadable generic world and city maps for indie game makers to use in their PDF or PoD products.
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12