Thread: Almost labeled maps...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post 100 to 300 ppi, it depends on your system

Generally I say, for a large format map at the final dimensional size, 100 ppi is the minimum resolution. If your PC can handle it, 300 ppi is preferrable, but 100 ppi still works fine.

I sponsored the January 2009 challenge by printing the winning map, those were the standards we were working on.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

How do you plan to handle things like different font styles for labeling and layer styles for fancy titles? Should we include these sort of things in a zip file that you can then put into a folder for keeping them all together? Don't get me wrong but I'd hate for someone else to just start putting sloppy styles onto something that I labor for days to get just the right feel (my current map has taken me a week to find the right font and I still haven't chosen a layer style for the title).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post that

What you said, Ascension, or even have available fonts to choose from, limited for each map of course. That would be the way I think.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

If you go that route, the cartographers need to be sure that they have the right to distribute any font they include in such a style pack.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    If you go that route, the cartographers need to be sure that they have the right to distribute any font they include in such a style pack.
    It is easy enough to make your own fonts if you have the software... Tell me game printer do you possess inkscape?

As to the bundled fonts, I would go for about 5. Maybe a blocky, detailed but east to read monks print, a cursive, elegant joined-up hand writing and a spider with broken legs crawling through ink as well as two or three others. Do you also do Sci-fi maps?

Old english, lucida handwriting and viner hand could be respective inspirations

Post Inkscape?

I currently do not have or use Inkscape, however, as it is a free program, I should be able to obtain it without a problem. If you can export your Inkscape file to a standard graphics format such as JPG, BMP, or PDF. I can still print whatever you need without needing to have Inkscape.

And I can print any kind of map.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

reminds me of a stock illustration website, you've probably heard of Illodeli.com

Maybe you can implement high resolution downloadable generic world and city maps for indie game makers to use in their PDF or PoD products.
    Adam Schmidt
    Illustration and Cartography
    http://www.misteradam.com