Ah! Another contest to try out some new procedural techniques.

I'll make a map of the lost city of Ichenjanda, as excavated by a team of archaeologists researching the old Challipai empire. Ichenjanda is situated on a hill overlooking the Bujapur River, and had a commanding position in the control of military and commercial movements on the river. It was abandoned nearly a thousand years ago, but had been declining before then. In legendary times, it was the capital of a mighty empire; this is the Ichenjanda the archaological team is seeking.

This one looks like a good opportunity to make a more schematic map, with vector and not raster graphics. I've been playing around with some ideas on how to get common effects procedurally. As with last month's Challenge, I start with a sketch:
Name:  sketch.png
Views: 306
Size:  1.9 KB
This shows the location of the river, forest, and hill crest. Add some noise to loosen up the boundaries, create a height map, and render with contour lines and some other effects, and we get my first
### Latest WIP ###
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ichenjanda-01.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	641.9 KB 
ID:	14322
(This is just an overview inset, showing the situation of Ichenjanda in the surrounding area. The main map will be focused on the city, on the hill in the middle.)