Thread: WIP returned from the dead-Tavonni Arise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Yet another version. I gave up on the deterrace, although I suspect with a lot of work and artistry(anyone know a good terrain artist?) it has some potential.

The rivers are a nice addition, although it would be cool if the flow map could be made sensitive to the global shape(if nothing else, maybe some sort of cylindrical scrolling effect). Not just for the rivers, but for the incise flow. On the north pole, of course, I could just bury the collection of radial rivers under an ice cap, but I would be surprised if the rivers lined up properly across the dateline.

I did this with the mound operator. It does look good, but my vertical scale is all shot.

As an experiment I tried applying a 1 unit mound on top of another 1 unit mound. That seemed to work fine. I'd get, depending on how the two mounds were aligned, about a 2 unit mound. That was what I had expected.

Now I do it again with a fractal variation scaled to 0-1. I'm expecting, say, a mound ranging from 0 to 4 in height. Instead it's bizarre, like 12,000. Any help in figuring out scaling would be much appreciated.

Oh, there's apparently a bug in the latitude shader. Really just an ugly, streaky mess. Shame, really as I'm having a heck of a time trying to get an analogous effect with photoshop gradients and whatnot. On to planetGenesis, I guess...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TavonniIMGwRivers.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	429.8 KB 
ID:	14628