Thread: First Chamber of Tomb Layout

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected kalmarjan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA
    There is a set of script-fu to simulate the basic photoshop layer effects:

http://users.telenet.be/ev1/gimplayereffects_en.html

Unlike layer effects, if you change the layer (other than moving it) you need to delete the effects layers and re-apply them. But it is a handy time-saver.

(p.s. really the only difference between a "glow" and "shadow" is the colour

-Rob A>
    I am not sure how the GIMP does this. The main difference between the two, Drop Shadows and Glow Effects lies in one semantic.

For overhead maps, the drop shadow gives a sense of distance from the layer below. A lot of people compensate for this by setting the distance to 0. It sort of works, but then you are left with a perspective that is off in my opinion.

For me, it works better to have a glow effect that set to a multiply that has a choke distance twice as long as the object casting shadow. I also play with the direction of light as well. What happens at that point is you get a better shadow, and the illusion that the object is stationary.

I hope this example does what I am saying some justice. Notice the last sample applies to this map itself.

Sandeman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	demo_layerstyles_128.png 
Views:	159 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	434