Thread: [WIP] Lord of the Isles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Gave it another try.

Colours are a bit better and the hills and mountains blend better but still nowhere close to your own. Your mountains make it feel like quite a small island where as this one is supposed to be around the size of Scotland.

No matter what I try I've yet to get the shelf to look right so I'm settling for the water as is

Still not 100% liking my attempt but it's an improvement I think.

I'll keep digging away at it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LORD-OF-THE-ISLE---carto-help.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	155.2 KB 
ID:	14569  

I know i'm jumping in pretty late but i have to say that that looks pretty nice.

What colour did you use for the mountains, because I've been trying to get that kind of effect and most of my mountains end up looking to brown and "dirty". Also, what do you do for the base land colopur, again my base land ends up looking too dirty.

On a side note to Ascension, how do you do your forests?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The default 14-pixel scattered dry brush that comes with photoshop...the one that's wider and not too tightly clumped. Give it some green color and then a small outer bevel, sometimes I'll throw in a pattern overlay to break up any solid colors that may seem too dominating and sometimes I'll texture the bevel too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    I know i'm jumping in pretty late but i have to say that that looks pretty nice.

What colour did you use for the mountains, because I've been trying to get that kind of effect and most of my mountains end up looking to brown and "dirty". Also, what do you do for the base land colopur, again my base land ends up looking too dirty.

On a side note to Ascension, how do you do your forests?
    In all honesty I just followed Acensions post above combined with his tutorial. The colours for the land and mtns were identical.

Latest update. Not much has changed really.

Gave some areas a bit of colour to break up the monotony of green that I had using the scatter brush Ascension mentioned.

I've named the main islands although I'm not set on the placement or font.

Placed villages, towns and capitols. Red is the capital of each island, Yellow is the permanent villages and towns and blue is for the longphorts or temporary villages that crop up when ships over-winter or for a trading post.
    I don't think I'll be naming them all on the map how ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LORD-OF-THE-ISLE-mk2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	14831  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Everything looks good to me so far, fonts, colors, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps