wij zijn
    jullie zijn
    zij zijn
    dat was incompleet. Zie de toevoeging

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by jaspertjie View Post
    first of all, I asked for a CONLANG no NATLANG

dat was incompleet. Zie de toevoeging
    So, you only want something here if it's from a complete conlang, or would a wip suffice?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    So, you only want something here if it's from a complete conlang, or would a wip suffice?
    I think that he ironically meant that you had forgotten to translate the word "is".

Let me start by explaining that these sentences would never occur in Glyphica Arcana. However, since I'm working on that project I'll do my best to provide an adequate translation. Note, however, that nouns in GA are not marked for gender, so he/she/it are all the same symbol.

(Note that the images are in svg as I haven't figured out how to import GA files into Inkscape to export to png.)

{First person singular pronoun} exists: http://www.monticello21st.com/glyphi...Gly1stSing.svg

{First person plural pronoun} exists: http://www.monticello21st.com/glyphi...Gly1stPlur.svg

{Second person singular pronoun} exists: http://www.monticello21st.com/glyphi...Gly2ndSing.svg

{Second person plural pronoun} exists: http://www.monticello21st.com/glyphi...Gly2ndPlur.svg

{Third person singular pronoun} exists: http://www.monticello21st.com/glyphi...Gly3rdSing.svg

{Third person plural pronoun} exists: http://www.monticello21st.com/glyphi...Gly3rdPlur.svg
    Last edited by Jeff_Wilson63; 10-11-2009 at 05:49 PM. Reason: image location change
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

I have a conlang on which I have been working for about a year now. It's intended to be nice sounding and have an alien feeling, it's a humanization of an etheric language spoken by the gods. Originally, it was just a naming language to be used to name the character souls, so that I could track them reincarnation to reincarnation. It's now much more than just a naming language. More importantly, it's my vehicle to amateurly learn about linguistics. So here goes my attempt to translate the op sentences.

Godspeech (my conlang's name) does not have a copula ("to be" verb) per se. Most of the times, an adjective used as a verb is the way to translate copula-using sentences. The op sentences, exactly as they are, are untranslatable to Godspeech, so they must be translated by using other means.

The following is a declaration of divine authority, identifying the subject as a divine lord. The subject is omitted in this example:
    Arbeja.
    [ˈaɾbɛʒa]
    arbe-ja
    I_am-IND.BL
    I am

EDIT: BL: blunt. When spoken by a higher ranking being, the it's blunt. It's rude otherwise.

A more complete sentence would be:
    Bagliun Edar arbeja.
    meaning "I am Lord Bagliun".
    The nickname I'm using in this board is a name of a character of mine who is one of the gods who speak the original etheric language on which Godspeech is based. Edar is a title meaning divine lord, Bagliun is his proper name, from bagli "to perceive" and -un meaning "doer" (not exactly).

Godspeech limits the use of personal pronouns and discourages their usage. Personal pronouns are clitics for first and second persons only.
    Amēnjoabil.
    [ˈamɛːnʒɔˌabil]
    amēn-jo-abil
    ADJ-IND.POL-1SG.NOM
    I am

Amēnjoamel.
    [ˈamɛːnʒɔˌamɛl]
    amēn-jo-amel
    ADJ-IND.POL-2SG.NOM
    You are

Amēnjovam.
    [ˈamɛːnˌʒɔvam]
    amēn-jo-vam
    ADJ-IND.POL-1PL.NOM
    We are

Amēnjother.
    [ˈamɛːnˌʒɔðɛɾ]
    amēn-jo-ther
    ADJ-IND.POL-2PL.NOM
    You are

Word amēn is a pro-adjective. It takes a meaning given by the context in which it appears, so any of the above sentences mean "I/you/we am/are [anything defined by context]".

The gods use noun phrases instead of pronouns more often; the third person cannot be supplied by pronouns, and must be provided with noun phrases. Noun phrases used for this purpose include the proper name of the person being spoken of, his title or profession, some kind of socially defined reference, or just "this (or that) person" when there is no other way.

Abameurodo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamɛuˌɾɔdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    abam-e-uro-do amēn-jo
    person-SG.DEF.MASC-1.this-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    I am
    Lit. This person is.

Abamearedo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamɛaˌɾɛdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    abam-e-are-do amēn-jo
    person-SG.DEF.MASC-2.that-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    You are
    Lit. That person is.

Abameazomdo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamɛaˌzɔmdɔ ˈamɛːʒɔ]
    abam-e-azom-do amēn-jo
    person-SG.DEF.MASC-3.that-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    He is
    Lit. That person is.

Abamiazomdo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamiaˌzɔmdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    abam-i-azom-do amēn-jo
    person-SG.DEF.FEM-3.that-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    She is
    Lit. That person is.

Izauazomdo amēnjo.
    [ˈizauaˌzɔmdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    iza-u-azom-do amēn-jo
    thing-SG.DEF.NEUT-3.that-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    It is
    Lit. That thing is.

The word "iza" means "useful thing". To refer to a "useless thing" you use "izi", and similarly "izu" is equivalent to "trash".

Abamjilurodo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamʒiluˌɾɔdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    abam-jil-uro-do amēn-jo
    person-DU.DEF.MASC-1.this-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    We are

Abamjilaredo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamʒilaˌɾɛdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    abam-jil-are-do amēn-jo
    person-DU.DEF.MASC-2.that-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    You are

Abamjirazomdo amēnjo.
    [ˈabamʒiɾazɔmdɔ ˈamɛːnʒɔ]
    abam-jir-azom-do amēn-jo
    person-DU.DEF.NEUT-3.that-TOP ADJ-IND.POL
    They are

For the English plurals, there are far more choices in Godspeech to translate these three sentences. I chose to use the dual number for all three, and the neuter gender for the last one. Godspeech's table of noun inflections is quite big.
    Last edited by Bagliun Edar; 04-26-2014 at 02:33 PM.