Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP – Volcanic Island

Cool idea about the smoke! It's going to be interesting to see how it works out.

My only nitpick at the moment is with the wood texture and you already know about it.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Ooh, I like that idea! And you know, when I look at the map, the light blue flavour text almost seems to float up at me, too, just like the smoke will. Perhaps you could play that up a little?

The only downside of this angle/approach at the moment, though, is that it makes the title look a little flat, to me, personally. I'd recommend floating it, too, but the voice in the back of my head suggests that might be going a little overboard.

I love the concept, though! Very intriguing!

-asp

It's a wonderful looking map, and I know I'm late to the party, but the smoke looks absolutely fantastic. Your idea about having the smoke floating out of the map sounds interesting.

It would be interesting looking if the whole map was on 3d. I personally like more that it is just plain 2d and not 3d, because it will take so much attention away from the details etc. People will just look that there's a map layed on the table and not actually see all the stuff that's in it. Just my thought about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    It would be interesting looking if the whole map was on 3d. I personally like more that it is just plain 2d and not 3d, because it will take so much attention away from the details etc. People will just look that there's a map layed on the table and not actually see all the stuff that's in it. Just my thought about it..
    I do agree it looses a lot when the map is not really 3D. Making it more 3D means I would have to draw most parts again and it doesn't sound that tempting. I will check how far I can pull this way and if it will be worth posting. I'm short on time now, so I'll put here what I have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3d test-4a.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	15131  

Well, it's looking better than I thought, but the image quality seems to have taken a big hit there.. just because of the resizing etc.. What might help with the fonts getting blurry, is actually working with the version that has the fonts unrasterized. If you applied the same perspective to them, it would preserve the quality a bit better (though it might mess up your effects on the text). But what comes to the landscape getting blurry etc, only thing what comes to my mind is working on a larger resolution version, and scaling it down later. Don't know if that helps at all Best option probably would just be to have the map rendered on a 3d program along with the table.

Ok so I tested the 3d thing out for you (even if you didn't ask for it..) but here's a quick render of your map with vue. Sorry about the poor table texture, but that shoudn't matter as the image is just to demonstrate this method..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pasis-rend.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	319.6 KB 
ID:	15132  

This is so cool
    Magical map...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff, and the table texture isn't bad at all.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you have your original text on a separate layer then skew that to fit and add a drop shadow and they'll float. Good stuff here by everyone contributing...kind of like a mass experiment. I'm gonna have to unzip my trial version of Vue one of these days and play with it when I get some time.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast