Thread: [WIP] Canthar: World Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ambitious project!

I am extremely curious to see how you will handle the plane view (the better to pilfer your skills and knowledge!)

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrice View Post
    I am extremely curious to see how you will handle the plane view (the better to pilfer your skills and knowledge!)
    I haven't actually decided how I'm going to handle the plane view myself, yet. I know it's going to be the part of the map with the least detail, so I'm going to leave that view until the end.

DMG

Wip The Dread Expanse

Right, now I’ve drawn the continents I won’t need the template for a while, so I’ve created a parchment background using the CA 2007, Issue 6: Parchments, and inserted it into my Canthar map.

For the Dread Expanse I’ve created three new sheets; low, mid and high clouds. I then just drew a few cloud-like blobs on these sheets. I fiddled around with the sheet effects for each of these sheets, using blurs and transparencies to try and create a roiling necrotic storm.

I was hoping to add my first “magical, 3Dish” effect to the map with this storm, and found it pretty tricky to get the colours and effects right. I think I’ve got it right, but if anyone is good with CC3 sheets and effects – please let me know if you have any good techniques to get this kind of effect. Finally, to begin adding more map magic, I added a dropshadow sheet effect to the land.

Anyway, this is what I’ve managed so far, and I hope it’s beginning to capture the feeling that the Shadowfell continent is emerging, or thrusting out of, a raging necrotic storm. I’m going to look at adding some purple necrotic lightning later on, but that’s something I need to think about first.

DMG
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DreadExpanse_1.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	14667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DreadExpanse_2.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	14668   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DreadExpanse_3.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	14669   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DreadExpanse_4.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	14670  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

No real comments from me other than I like it so far
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice job on that cloud effect; I really like the way that looks.