Thread: I Love Maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Or....just or...you can confront those perceived lack of skills and give it a go! we'll help you along the way....try it, we'll catch you if you fall. Drawing decent maps is not half as difficult as it might look.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Or....just or...you can confront those perceived lack of skills and give it a go! we'll help you along the way....try it, we'll catch you if you fall. Drawing decent maps is not half as difficult as it might look.
    Hi Ravells! I thought someone might say something like that. I don't actually have a perceived lack of skills so much as an actual low level of spacio-mechanical skills. I'm not being humble or lacking self-confidence either; my spacio-mechanical skills measure below average for the general populace, whereas my math skills measure above average even for people who take graduate-admissions tests (GRE, GMAT) and my verbal skills measure right up at the top of the distribution (again even among people trying to get into graduate school). I have in fact created many maps over the years, as I've been playing D&D and DMing since 1978, but I find it difficult and the results often quite dissatisfying, and rarely what I had in mind when I started. I mean the map of my world, which I've done in pieces over the decades, I find reasonably OK, but it's tough for me to design anything that doesn't just fit along the straight lines and 90-degree angles of graph paper. I also don't have a good sense of how large things should be, or even sometimes of what ought to be in a place.

Eventually, if nobody shows any interest in designing the sites, I might come up with something on my own, but teaching at two colleges doesn't leave me the sort of free time I once had, and tasks at which I do poorly I tend to put off in favor of tasks I can do better, like creating storylines and NPCs. By eventually mean, well, let's just say that it's been a few years since I first came up with the ideas for the sites and I have yet to put pencil to paper (which would make sharing the designs a little more difficult, although I could scan them and upload them if this site allows that. I'm not sure; the ones I've seen so far appear to reside on other sites with links on here rather than directly on here.)

Well back to work I guess. Part-time professors don't get paid much...