Thread: something to design a planetary system? or just a single planet w 2 moons?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I had started a program to do something like this, but eventually I fell behind on it. The goal had been to allow myself to accurately track positions and things like eclipses, etc.

Eventually I settled for using a program Greason Wolfe pointed me to: Here

After playing with this for awhile I got a number of moons that were fairly stable for several hundred years. (Slight wobble to their orbits.) I did this by using mostly light mass moons, the dense/heavy ones were stuck about the middle near where our actual moon is.

So, after I had that working, I just cheated. I calculated the period of each moon alone around the planet. Then I wrote a little python script to calculate the positions of the moons around the planets at a given time. I only want to use the world for maybe a few hundred years, and these numbers come out as close enough.
    Last edited by Talroth; 07-06-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    I had started a program to do something like this, but eventually I fell behind on it. The goal had been to allow myself to accurately track positions and things like eclipses, etc.

Eventually I settled for using a program Greason Wolfe pointed me to:

After playing with this for awhile I got a number of moons that were fairly stable for several hundred years. (Slight wobble to their orbits.) I did this by using mostly light mass moons, the dense/heavy ones were stuck about the middle near where our actual moon is.

So, after I had that working, I just cheated. I calculated the period of each moon alone around the planet. Then I wrote a little python script to calculate the positions of the moons around the planets at a given time. I only want to use the world for maybe a few hundred years, and these numbers come out as close enough.
    Oh man, thanks for reminding me about that. After tossing it out there, I completely forgot to go grab it for myself.

GW

Edit : Looks like the link got dropped out of Talroth's post, so here it is again, just for ease of finding.

http://www.orbitsimulator.com/gravit...cles/what.html
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 07-05-2009 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Adding Link
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges