Thread: June/July 2009 Lite Challenge Entry: Wellington Dig

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Syt,

I really liked your suggestions, and started off by changing the type. I found a hoard of good fonts demonstrating a wide variety of key degradation, and selected one that I liked called "Underwood Champion". It was lucky that I hadn't rasterized the old font already. Of course the new font was completely different in character and required about an hour of adjusting lines. That looked good, but while I was experimenting with ways to make correction-tape type impressions, my wife pointed out that if someone typed on the form, they surely did not type in blue. Point taken.

I started out in the typing and document world back in 1981 when I joined the United States Air Force. I learned a lot about white out, correction tape, IBM Selectrics and the like. Getting any kind of a good effect was frustrating, until I happened up on the idea of using a layer behind the type and actually typing slightly off-white letters with the smallest of drop shadows. That worked out good, and with a bit of low-flow erasing after the fact, it turned out okay. There are probably forty corrected typos in there.

The photos were simply a matter of properly sizing the artifacts to go with each other, and arranging to type. It really does look a lot better this way Syt, and I have nobody but you to thank. Oh, I found a website that would take your type and convert it into an old Dyno label maker labels with tape of your choice (http://www.acme.com/labelmaker/), so I used that rather than one of the several label fonts out there. I think the off-beat color hints a little at the eclectic taste so often expressed in universities. Most people had either black or medium red tapes.

Time to hit the rack. Thanks again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wellington Dig2.png 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	14655

Immolate,

glad to hear you liked my suggestions, and to be honest, this is a fabulous bit of work, looking very real; I'd see this as something in an adventure computer game or as a movie prop. The labels on the photos are really the icing on the cake.