Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jartor - Commission request

Thanks guys, I value the feedback. Alfar, the wonkiness comes from carving the roads, and cleaning it up is going to take ages...but I'll give it a go. I'm just slapping down the buildings for the moment.

Gand, I took a closer look at the drop shadow, I think I'll use it selectively later on for taller buildings. (might work..will try) but everything drop shadowed shows up building overlaps which you can't see without it.

The vegetation is a brush which comes with Drawplus...definitely looks big though (might be the drop shadow I've added to it) - thanks, I'll play around with it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The drop shadows on the vegetation are bit overstated I think, though I do like the actual look of the foliage.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice! Looking good. I think you're right about the buildings... they have a more organic feel to them. I'm still thinking that its possible to make the the lazy man technique work, but I'm just stubborn Way to push the limits!

Cheers SG, I've made the foliage much less strong - I'll probably look at the whole foliage / landscape / colour pallette thing again just before the end and try to sort them out then.

Keep going with the lazy man, Redstar, I tried for ages to make it work but I don't think I quite got there but Fogdown redux looked sublime. I much prefer the context free technique. Builds great castle and city walls too.

Here's the last render for tonight. Tomorrow I'll start detailing the districts properly and try and give them more individuality.

I think the time estimates I posted earlier are a little under-estimated. Building cities is like DIY. If you think it's going to take you 2 hours, then double it and add half on top again and that's how long it will really take you.

Still I'm having fun.

Cheers

Ravs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jartor renderb 090807.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	15639  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'll often put a inner shadow on the foliage/forest layers as well, gives it a bit more depth/dense-ness. Not sure how it might affect yours though.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was liking the darker forest (naturally) but was wanting a darker shadow for the houses, too light and blurry for hard edges buildings. I like the colors on the newer one even more, though, so I'm kind of torn.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

You are making some good progress Ravells! The houses look great. The foliage is a lot better now also.

One suggestion:
    The smaller houses to the southwest turn into big houses quite abruptly. You might want to smooth the transition a bit by having some smaller houses in the district with the larger houses.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Thanks Gand, I'll catch those on the beauty pass. I've just used the drop shadow for the walls and the big buildings - I think that works OK.

I've pretty much done the beauty pass for all the nothern districts, just the four districts to the north and west of the island to go and the island as well. Ditched the textures completely and I think the map is much better for it. Vector's not great for textures so I think this way is better. Wag's tree symbols came in very handy - thanks Wag!

cheers

Ravs

Name:	jartor export 090808.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	15662  

Hmm... you haven't convinced me yet. I liked the one with textures better.
    Also, the topdown houses don't match well with the (sideway) trees I think.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I kinda like the greyscale...anyway, we can make the colour / texture decision at the end which is probably the right time for it anyway...got build myself some proper docks, and a canal and a bazaar...all in a day's work for a cartographer!

Tell you what though, if I am going to do the texturing I'm definitely taking into raster. Had people round for dinner tonight so only a small update with the island and some bridges done and some experiments on high verticals.

Name:	jartor exportb 090809.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.40 MB 
ID:	15667  

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast