Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cen Heddan - colouring an oldie

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Wip Cen Heddan - colouring an oldie

I decided to pick up on one of my older maps (one of my first, in fact) that I never really finished. I tried colouring it once before, but I had no idea how to tackle it.
    Here's a new attempt, with much taken from Torstan's tutorials.

The old version:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cen_heddan_map___wip_by_dwylaw.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	84459

And how it looks at the moment:

Name:	a7580c1a063e76f126cdf305f3fa88d0.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	888.8 KB 
ID:	84460

Shading the rock that this town is on. Black and white (brush pressure sensitivy set to pen pressure) on two overlay layers to build up the core shadows and highlights.

Looking good! I like the town a lot.

A question: have you considered using a low-opacity multiply layer on the lower elevations (opacity 1% - 10%, depending on your own taste/impression)? I find that it really helps give a sense of the third dimension.

Hey Blaidd.. Welcome back. I've never seen a map from you before, but that map is fantastic!

I use Torstan's methods as well, but I can't say that I like the parchment texture he offers on his website.. I find some parts are too dark and it gives a gross dark purple colour when you do some overlay layers on it.

At the moment I like the original better, but we'll see if that changes once you've gotten more done.

I'll rep you right here and now, it's a great map.

EDIT: Saltyfish ninja'd in there..

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by saltyfish View Post
    Looking good! I like the town a lot.
    A question: have you considered using a low-opacity multiply layer on the lower elevations (opacity 1% - 10%, depending on your own taste/impression)? I find that it really helps give a sense of the third dimension.
    Thanks!
    I have, sort of ... The original has thicker lines on the higher parts, because I tried to get some atmospheric perspective in. But it doesn't really seem to work, possibly because the lower parts with the field are also a bit more detailed. If I understand you correctly, you mean to turn the lower parts darker?

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I use Torstan's methods as well, but I can't say that I like the parchment texture he offers on his website.. I find some parts are too dark and it gives a gross dark purple colour when you do some overlay layers on it.

At the moment I like the original better, but we'll see if that changes once you've gotten more done.
    The interaction between the parchment layers and everything else is always tricky. I have used many others, or tried to, but none of them ever really get met where I want to go More fidgeting is key, I guess. It also doesn't help that I'm never patient enough to work on one part of the map and finish it. I'm always going back and forth between shading, colouring, nitpicking and what not.

Newest update: roofs coloured.

Name:	bfcbe05e5359035270b4f29d505dd672.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	526.0 KB 
ID:	84482

Wow, this is looking gorgeous! Looking forward to the next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I'm with ChickPea : it's looking fantastic Blaidd!

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    Thanks!
    I have, sort of ... The original has thicker lines on the higher parts, because I tried to get some atmospheric perspective in. But it doesn't really seem to work, possibly because the lower parts with the field are also a bit more detailed. If I understand you correctly, you mean to turn the lower parts darker?
    Yeah, that's it exactly (and it looks like you've started to implement that; looking good!). Generally, shading or darkening the lower area (with a very light touch, since it's easy to overdo it and ruin the effect) will push them "down/away." Conversely, you can highlight the upper areas (being even more careful, since this is even easier to overdo) to give the impression of them being closer to the eye.

It might just be the way my eyes work, but I've found the thinner lines work well for higher elevations, and thicker lines are better for the lower elevations. You might be too far along in this map for that to be a consideration, but that's fine since it's looking great either way.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyfish View Post
    You might be too far along in this map for that to be a consideration, but that's fine since it's looking great either way.
    Yeah, the lineart is too much of a hassle to change.

Calling it finished (EDIT: then again, maybe not. I might tweak the colours a bit):

Name:	CenHeddan_CLR-72.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	7.56 MB 
ID:	86791
    Last edited by Blaidd Drwg; 08-19-2016 at 07:00 PM.

I think it's very cool!!

That's a great piece ! And I'm really glad to see a part of your working process.
    Last edited by ThomasR; 08-21-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast