Thread: Post Apocalyptic Amerika

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Servus to Salzburg and compliments on the map. I like what you did with the place names, changing them slightly. Did you use any rules for that (similar to the German "Lautverschiebung)?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Grüße nach Wien! And thank you for the compliments!

I thought that languages have in general the tendency to became simpler than more complicated over long periodes. In general the written words are now more similar to the spoken word, e.g. the k replaces in most cases the c if it is spoken as 'k'. Also, in this world, many names have shortened like 'Noramerika' or 'Sanvaldor' instead of San Salvador.

Quote Originally Posted by Syt View Post
    Servus to Salzburg and compliments on the map. I like what you did with the place names, changing them slightly. Did you use any rules for that (similar to the German "Lautverschiebung)?

Well, you are right in that we seem to see an ever simplifying language - but there's also countertendencies time and again. Or as one of my linguistics professors used to say, "The Romans didn't step out of the cave with 6 grammatic cases."

There could be a trend, after dark ages of apocalpyse, be an emerging medieval culture that develops more advanced language skills, perhaps creating an elaborate manner of speaking as "modern" and to differentiate themselves from the "barbarians" who speak without rules. Though there'd probably be a high language conforming to all (new?) rules and customs and a low language of the street. Language has always also been a way to show your class or sophistications.