Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You make the most dynamic and exciting continent shapes, super cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Updating, this new laptop runs photoshop so much faster than before.

I have two map plans, one regional and one climate, both are likely to change, especially the former. Also included is Koppen's Climate Classification System, for use with the climate plan. As with before the map has been broken down into smaller portions for colouring and to make any future changers easier.

I'm also may put up more practice maps, I'm experimenting with more differing climate types and colours.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khazardia Climate Plan.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.03 MB 
ID:	18010   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khazardia Regional Plan.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	2.97 MB 
ID:	18011  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmm...Might have to give that CCS (to long a name ) a look-see. I usually ignore that kind of stuff and just wing it based on 'real world' knowledge.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Here is the b&w base map for Khazardia.
    I sort of hate to say it, but this map strikes me as not just being unlikely, but completely impossible. I'd like to know what sort of geological processes made it that way. I wish I had some positive feedback to offer, but I don't.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

For the most part, this world was not made by normal geological processes, it was literally hand crafted by the Elder Gods and has sinse endured two world wide catastrophies and the near-melting of the southern polar icecaps. The area at 11 used to be a solid landmass before the catastrophe.

I was thinking of alering some of the areas, would it help if i removed some of the outlying islands and filled in some of the area arounf 14 and 15?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

What sort of catastrophes? Surface explosions/impacts? Outgassing? Eruptions? Nanoclasm? Magical transformation? Desertification?

Getting rid of some of the islands would help. You have a lot of barrier islands. Unless they're built on something unusual in coastal areas on our world, barrier islands at that scale tend to erode rapidly.

The area around 14 and 15 is actually the one area where the outline makes sense to me. I can see the continental rift to the (north)west of that area where two continental plates (or the equivalent) are pulling away from each other.
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

The thing that strikes me as off is the strait at the lower left. It is really very straight, like it was cut with the sword of a god. Now, if it was cut with the sword of a god, that's great. If not, well, I'd make it a little less of straight strait.

Okay, not much of an update but what the hey.

Attchaed is a slightly altered map of Khazardia, most of the changes aren't noticeable but the little things still count. I've gone back and removed alot of the small islands, there were quite aq few that just felt out of place. However, instead of deleting these maps I merged the large ones with the coast line of the straights in the south-west to break up the out-off-place straight look it had. I've also rearranged some of the islands, such as in the southeast.

I'm starting the colouring now. Should I update after I've coloured every few areas or wait until I've done the whole lot?

-D-

Name:	Khazardia PSD copy.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	18061  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Don't you just love who can stumble upon sometinh nice completely by accident. I was playing around with my grassland layer, well I was actually trying to make my wastes look more wasted (i know there's a joke here), when I came across something interesting. Below are two maps, a before and after if you will, and would like to know of what poeple think. Does this new grassland look better than the one before, should I use it?

Also, and I know this will make me unpopular, but I'm considering redoing the map of Adallia, not a complete makeover but and improved version of it. I have a several reasons why i think i need to redo it and the first one is that in doing research for this map and experimenting with photoshop I've found many things in the Adallia map to be flawed and in need of change.

Also, and lastly, i've been experimenting with ways in which I can make my mountains look much more mountainy, they just seems so flat right now, Ascension's method, although great, just isn't working right with all of the changes I'm trying to make with the maps. Any ideas?

-D-

Name:	contrast 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	18067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contrast 2 copy.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	624.4 KB 
ID:	18068  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

With a lil bit darker green painted over top that would make a nice forest. Also check my current wip, Aalder, as I will be posting a tweak for something a lil bit different for mountains.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast