Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Yay, final area complete. I'll post the complete map tommorow.

I also went back to the second map and tried to break up the large grassland in the centre, wasn't entirely successful but it'll do.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia - Eastern Imperial Lands.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	15490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia - Lower Lands.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	15491  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

A few hours of tinkering and cleaning and all of my maps are combined together. I've put in the borders and nations, yes I know five of the nations have the same nation colour, that has something to do with the back story.

I've put in some of the main labels, mostly just ocean/sea and nation names. I'll start to label the countries individually later on.

Sorry if its hard to read but i had to shrink the image to upload, the limit is still 3600x3600 right?

A few questions first.

1) Would you say this place is bigger or smaller than Europe (minus Russia). I have the scale around 1 mile a pixel, would that be big enough to make it the same size as Europe? Would be closer if it were 5 or 10 miles a pixel.

2) Adallia sits on the equator, and a fault line, and is subject to torrential seasonal rains, cyclones (or would it be typhoons?) and the occasional earthquakes. Would the rains/storms happen in the summer or the winter season.

3) As it sits on the equator how much difference would there be between winter and summer. It would still be warm and humid I know that much?

Any help would be appreciated.

-D-

Name:	Adallia.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	4.39 MB 
ID:	15525  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This came out quite nicely, great job so far!

It's not so much dimensions as megapixel total (limit is ~33 Mgpxl) and a file size of ~4.7MB [.jpg] and ~7MB [.png] (those may be off a bit), as long as you're under those you should be good to go.

I'd say it's bigger than Europe (given your scale), maybe closer to Australia *shrugs*.

I would think that there would be more arid/dry areas, but I didn't go back through the whole thread so if not, just ignore that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Go Aussie!

Yeah i though that some of the areas should be more arid but I had a theme for my continents, Adallia is supposed to be epic forests, Loratolia is supposed to be sweeping grasslands and vast deserts and Khazardia is fertile marshes and cold wastes.

Maybe i should make it a bit smaller than Europe, or about the same size. Would 1 pixel= 1/2 mile work? And should it be miles or kilometres? I'm an Aussie so i'm used to kilometres but alot of maps seem to use miles.

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Europe, from the coast of portugal to the russian border, is around 1800-2000 miles (if my calculations are close), so 1 pixel = 1/2 mile would work.

When you add the scale you could include both miles & kms (it's really your preference).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Go Aussie!

Yeah i though that some of the areas should be more arid but I had a theme for my continents, Adallia is supposed to be epic forests, Loratolia is supposed to be sweeping grasslands and vast deserts and Khazardia is fertile marshes and cold wastes.

Maybe i should make it a bit smaller than Europe, or about the same size. Would 1 pixel= 1/2 mile work? And should it be miles or kilometres? I'm an Aussie so i'm used to kilometres but alot of maps seem to use miles.

-D-
    I think you only most see miles because so many of us are USians, where, for whatever reason, we still use miles. I'd imagine on the maps of the European members you're more likely to se KM, since that just makes more sense to them.

Also... looks really good, all put together. That must have been a challenge to meld them all together like that.
    Last edited by Karro; 08-05-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

It seems to me, too, that fantasy worlds tend to be measured more in miles, leagues, etc. Archaic is the name of the game, in a sense.

Science fiction worlds tend to be measured in metrics, I've noticed. That's why my current project is in km, even though I'm from the US, and have to crunch numbers to convert to km every time.

As for the climate of the nation in question, I'll have to go back through this post, as I'm coming to this thread late in the game and haven't read all of it, yet, and now have to get to work! :O

I'll probably check back here this evening and take a look over it and see if I can figure it out, if no one's beaten me to it.

-asp

Updating

I've altered the terrain in the south to look drier as that area is closer to the tropics line. I tried to do the same for the area around Trant as it is right on the equator but it didn't look right, also the forest to the south of the Trant Straight is there to cover a join between two maps.

Also I was looking for something unique to be used as compass for each of my knigdoms/nations, there own unique symbol or something like that. So i was flipping through the tutorials section when I came across Yandor's Insignia Tutorial and I though that was perfect for my needs. I whipped up insignia's for seven of my countries, they're not as good as Yandor's ones but they'll do just fine for my needs.

The four that have been posted below are the insignias for The Free States, Haart, Ihlea and Lobradia respectively.

Great Tut Yandor

-D-

Name:	Adallia.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	15647  
    Attached Images Attached Images     

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Here are the other three insignia's I've done.

Maeora, New Demora and Rythia respectively.

-D-
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Looking very very nice sir

I envy your skills

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast