Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looking very spectacular!
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Thnx . Just for the record, i've added a new bevel to the place symbols to give some extra pop and I've added a red triangle to city symbol , the white ring, the make it look more impressive than the fort and town symbols.

But alas, me and indecision are constant companions. Moments after setting down the naming conventions i found myself questioning them. For the most part the culture of Adallia is the same from country to country; the culture is known as High Style Everlandian and has been spread across about a quarter of the Everlandias by the Zephyrn Empire.

I like the idea i had with the Doumr and Myr naming conventions and is inclined to have a singular word in front of a title to represent something about the place, like "Laer" and "Dann" meaning town or its equivelant. This also helps to break from the European feel which i really want; its not that i hate europe, hell i have a strong european background, its just that a lot of fantasy places have done a European-esque medieval world and i want to break from that.

So I'm asking, does anyone have any suggestion on how i can create a coherent and effective, and maybe exotic/flavourable, naming convention that i can apply elsewhere in the Everlandias, or does anyone know of a place i can go that could help me. If it helps i can elaborate on some of the other customs/conventions of High Style Everlandian culture.

Any help would be appreciated.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by LonewandererD View Post
    Thnx . Just for the record, i've added a new bevel to the place symbols to give some extra pop and I've added a red triangle to city symbol , the white ring, the make it look more impressive than the fort and town symbols.

But alas, me and indecision are constant companions. Moments after setting down the naming conventions i found myself questioning them. For the most part the culture of Adallia is the same from country to country; the culture is known as High Style Everlandian and has been spread across about a quarter of the Everlandias by the Zephyrn Empire.

I like the idea i had with the Doumr and Myr naming conventions and is inclined to have a singular word in front of a title to represent something about the place, like "Laer" and "Dann" meaning town or its equivelant. This also helps to break from the European feel which i really want; its not that i hate europe, hell i have a strong european background, its just that a lot of fantasy places have done a European-esque medieval world and i want to break from that.

So I'm asking, does anyone have any suggestion on how i can create a coherent and effective, and maybe exotic/flavourable, naming convention that i can apply elsewhere in the Everlandias, or does anyone know of a place i can go that could help me. If it helps i can elaborate on some of the other customs/conventions of High Style Everlandian culture.

Any help would be appreciated.

-D-
    Check some of the Toponomy threads. There's not many, but a few good ideas bandied about there. A couple options: (1) "steal" names from real-world cultures that mirror the flavors you are trying to evoke. (2) try and figure out the linguistic/phonological structure of the languages of your source cultures and use one of the "word generators" posted in those threads to make up a series of words that follows a similar, consistent phonological structure.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I've found my naming system. After rummaging through all of my old forgotten downloads i realised i had downloaded a copy of the Everchanging Book of Names. So now i'm just generating whole lists and composing a mega list of names that i like.

But alas, i solve one problem only to find another one. I thought it would be easier to name the countries if i fiddled around with them a bit, but while fiddling i began to notice many flaws and problems that i didn't like. I waould lkist them but i don't want to bore you.

So, even if i fix all of these problems there will still be more problems that I can't fix. So, instead, I'm just going to start over. The main problem was that I didn't have a clear plan when I was working my way through, a lot of it was experimenting and some important things that i did have in my main plan were left out. Well, they say third times a charm, so Adallia Mk 3 should work out.

First question for my new map. Granite and Limestone are key building materials in the construction of Zerrani buildins which are scattered all over Adallia. Under what circustances do these two rocks form. Also, are they're any other rock types that would make for surperior building materials and under what circumstances do they form?

Second question. How does obsidian form? I heard that it was formed around volcanoes. On the same note is it true that volcanic soil is more fertile than normal soil?

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

I no this thread is no longer of any real interest but here is my brief plan of what the revised shape of Adallia will be. In the process of drawing the good copy now.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	909.8 KB 
ID:	16147  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't sell yourself short. I, for one, read every single post but don't always comment. Sometimes, it's just better to let the artist make his own journey rather than for someone else to step in and force him down a different path. Keep walking and we'll keep watching. I like the shapes here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Always good to have a basic idea of what you want, all to often I just kind of 'wing-it' in my maps.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

winging it was the main problem with my last map, everything was all over the place, especially the mountains

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Brief update.

I've done the base map for Adallia Mk 3 and I'm now breaking it down into smaller sections for colouring.

I think I've accomplanished the changes that i wanted in this new map. It feels more balanced now, if that makes sence, and looking at it I have a clear idea of where the country borders are going to go whereas before it was just make-up-as-i-go.

What do you think?

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia Main copy.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	16208  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

It does indeed feel/look a lot more balanced. Very nice landmass shapes!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast