Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very stylish, looks cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat shaped landmass, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Probably because I've been working on my challenge map (when I should be working ), I kinda see a kabuki face in this.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

I like it... looks very action packed... the shore line I mean. A world where stuff happens.

That's a great description AC. We would all be better served to think like that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Map has been coloured, and in record time, for me anyway.

I haven't drawn in rivers and lakes yet, i wanted to do all of the main terrain before working on the smaller details. Next I'm going to tackle map details like borders, lat/long lines, rivers, etc. Should i include volcanoes, they're a big part of Adallia but my volcano making skills aren't the best.

Made some modifications to how I colour my maps. The forests are less dense and there is a lot more in the way of marshes and wastes. Not sure if that entirely works but having huge blocks of just forest didn't really work either, should I change it back? Now that i think of it all that exposed grassland doesn't quite work, I might lessen the amount of grasslands. Also I've made the mountains sharper, they were too blurred last time around. Its hard to spot when zoomed out but you should see it when you zoom in. Also the forests are painted with a lighter green, not very noticeable but it does help to give a tropical look.

While I'm on the subject, can anyone suggest a way that I can make this map look more tropical, especially in regards to the oceans. Its warm right now, but not quite warm enough for my tastes and the oceans look a little lifeless.

Also you may have noted that I don't give a lot of feedback for other people's work. I really want to but I never know what to say, for the most part other people's work are above my level and I don't what suggestions or help i can give.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia Main.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	16267  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

This is looking quite good, I like the additions of the swamps, etc.

As for making it look more tropical... you might consider darkening up the trees/forests. For me I always view a tropical jungle/forest as being very lush with deep, dark, rich greens.

Don't feel obligated to give feedback (though it is nice), there are many times I don't comment simply because I can't come up with anything constructive to say. Though even a simple "Hey! I like this" is encouraging to see.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The more you learn the more you will be able to discern with a keen eye and help others. As for volcanoes, since you're using my atlas tut, I did a volcano tut long ago. You can also look at Pasis' volcanoes.

Updating...

First a quick question. Is there anyway that i can post my fullsized map? Its actually 7000x7000 pixels and this pic is less than half that size. Its just that on a smaller size like this the details and true feeling of size seems lessened, and a little blurred. On the fullsize map you can go into 200% zoom and it still looks like its zoomed pretty far out. Also I plan to combine all of my smaller country maps into one huge master map, insane I know .

Anyway, onto the map.

I have made the forests/jungle (which is the correct usage?) denser but still have plenty of grassland/marsh/wastes to break up the sea of green so it doesn't become too overwhelming and to add some variety. I've decreased the size of the outerglow for the main landmass, no beaches in the world would look that big from so far out, as far as I know anyway.

Also I've completed the rivers and lakes for Adallia so I call upon the river police to give it a once over to see if I missed any violations. And finally I've put in the base lines for nation borders and the nation names. These aren't permanent and will change, the red is terrible but will serve until later. While I'm on the subject, when the map is 100% labelled I'm going to have a lot less room to put the country names in amongst the local place names, don't anyoen have a suggestions to work around this?

Okay, back to work. Things remaining on my checklist before I get down to labelling individual countries include...
    - Volcanos
    - Redone borders with nation colours
    - A redone ocean, the current one doesn't look right to me
    - Lat/Long Lines
    - Creating a border
    - Placing Compass, Scale and Title

Acension, I used your volcano tut last time round but I've found that it doens't work as well when you with creating large groups of volcanos, something goes wrong with the gradient phase. Also does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to make the ocean look more like an ocean. I can't really think of a way so I was just going to make it a solid mass of blue, dull but it'll serve its purpose. Also does anyway have a method for making cool looking borders that don't distract from the map, my attempts so far have been somewhat basic. Do I ask too many questions?

More work to come soon.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia Main.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	16295  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

The forum software has a pixel limitation as well as file size limits. If your image is more than ~33 megapixels total, it will not upload. You'll need to lower the size and/or the resolution.

Ascension has some great techniques for doing borders in one of his tutorials (can't remember which).

I'm having a hard time actually seeing the rivers, but from what I could see I didn't find any violations. As for your oceans, I think they are fine.

Some food for thought considering the ocean:

You used your light blue cloud pattern in areas where one would expect deeper waters and the coastal areas often use the darkest shade of blue.
    You could try to use the lighter shades of blue to indicate shallow waters, while using dark blue for deep areas, instead.

Might be worth a shot.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast