Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Yeah, i thought uploading my full pic was too much to ask for, oh well.

Sorry if you couldn't see the rivers clearly Steel but I had to lower their opacity a bit because they were too bright and stood out too much. I can load up and image with brighter rivers if that helps.

Searching through Ascensions tuts now for borders. I swear, i would have given up mapping altogether if i hadn't come to this place, thanks Cartographers Guild . Sappy thing to say I know.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Don't worry about re-uploading another version, others may see them fine.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Update

Okay, now I'v reached the point where I need to get down to the fine details, labelling. For the main map I've added the Lat/Long lines, a compass and a scale. I'm going to redo the titles and country names, the mainly just being used as notes of sorts right now. I've also redone the borders between countries and I've cleaned up the ocean. Also I've added volcanos, I've tried to stick to the general rules of volcanos i.e, they form in chains, etc. They didn't turn out quite as I hoped but they'll do. I've also made the rivers brighter and darkened some of the bright patches of mountain.

I'm going to lessen the glow of the borders so they don't overwhelm my labelling. Also I'm going to brighten up the oceans, they are a bit dull right now and that is somewhat holding back the tropical feel. I mean when you hear the word "Tropical" one of the things that jump to mind is sparkling, sapphire waters, not a mat of blue. While I'm sort of on the subject, does anyone know how I can makes some cool looking coral reefs, I saw something on someones tut (ascensions) that looks good but I'm not sure if it will fit in with the style of my map. Will still experiment with it though.

As always, any feedback/constructive critism is welcomed.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia Main.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	16306  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

One of the things I did for underwater features was to get a good moonscape or other nifty texture (don't be afreaid to build something up), greyscale it, and put it on a layer over the ocean with Overlay, then adjust the transparency a bit.

check here for my experiments, i go into a bit more detail with how I got the effect.

Might be a little much for what you're after, but with some effort, mgiht help you get to where you are going.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I think I've hit the tropical look I was after. With a lot of fiddling around I was able to make my water look brighter, warmer and cleaner, also, my landmass has seemed to become brighter by comparision.

Still not sure as to how I can make up some coral reefs but i was thinking of just using my shelf layer and a small brush/pencil to draw some in and then try and add some purples, pinks and greens for colour.

What do you think?

-D-

Views:	54 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	16310  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 08-28-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: needed to add in the end to one of my sentences

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Worth a shot, you can always delete the layer if it doesn't turn out right.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Getting close to the finish now, finally...

Okay, I've made several small changes...

- I altered the legend to read Major and Minor Settlement as their is no word in Adallis (the native tongue) for city or town. I also included trade routes.
    - I put in more minor settlement symbols and made them a lot smaller, now my countries look populated. I did the same for ruins.
    - I redid the traderoutes so that they link all the major settlements and forts together and only inlcude minor settlements if they happen to be in between or on the way, it looks more organised that way. I also changed the setting on the traderoutes so that they blend into the backgorund whilst still being noticeable.
    - Fiddled around with the title.
    - Added country names, you may have to look for them, they're not immediately apparent.
    - I fiddled round with the borders and resized the names.

Okay, I don't have an awful lot left to do for this map. I only need to name the remaining forts. As with the major settlements I'll be repeating names over again depending on what type of fort it'll be, for example river forts will be Joa'Ahm (bridge) and while major forts will be Droh (Fortress).

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to add airship tradelanes, airships do exist in our world, they're just new. However, airship traderoutes would have to take into account local magick currents which is a while other thing to think about. Finally I have to break the main map down into smaller regional maps and add in some local feature names, or should I just add them to the main map and then break it down?

Is there anything else I can do to make this map look better before I declare it finished?

-D-

Views:	64 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	16440  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

What's that font you used for the title of the map? It's very sexy

Sexy? Really?

I was going for different but okay. The Title font is "Vivaldi". Is it just me or does the title look like "Aladdin", I love that movie

-D-

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Thanks for the font name, I really like how it looks the way you did it

And I really like your map... and nothing says "good job" like rep. You are repped

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast