Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: My world - The Everlandias

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I couldn't do it any better...it looks like I did make it That, in itself, earns props from me. And since I like what I do, I like what you did. More rep headin yer way.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Some labels are a bit hard to read. I am referring to the larger yellow and orange labels on land. Labels like "Norsomm" or "Horsomm". It's almost if they blend into the land, part of the problem is the color I think.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Sorry Gandwarf. It's Norsomm, its just that the font makes it look like a H. I purposefully made the names blend in so that they don't overpower the landscape.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Came out quite nicely...

As for the 'Airship Lanes', add them in then post 2 versions of the map - 1 with them, 1 without them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well that took longer than I thought.

I've finally labelled all of the forts, again I recycled words, in this case most of the words were Lon (Gate), Droh (Fortress), Keis (Hall) and Domma (Tower). Yes, the names are wierd and some are quite long but that because all of them are written in Adallis and Adallis names are long. Basically, most of the names are along the lines of "Tower of the Red Sun" or "Fortress of the Broken Blade", and so it was hard to keep the title short. Truthfully I like the Adallis words because they add a certain regional flavour that makes it unique but, if anyone would like me to, I can make a second copy of the map but with all the settlement/fort names translated to english. It will take some time though because some of the words don't have a definite English counterpart, for example "Laer" has no real counterpart. If I do so I would have to translate this map to be completely 100% written in Adallis, right now it sort of pseudo-Adallis.

I also went back and added in more tradelanes I had forgotten and added in labels for some regions of the map e.g. the Jinte Lowlands. I'm leaving out airship lanes for now but I am going to go back and revisit them. Is there anything else that people feel I need to address/change. If not, I'm going to give this map its final tweaking, call it done and start breaking it done into smaller regional maps, once I've redone some of the country insignias, and then start planning my next continent, the northern lands of Khazardia.

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia Main.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	16677  
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

One criticism:

You have what I suppose to be country names in various colors and somewhat translucent. However, they're pretty difficult to read, being both fairly faintly colored and not opaque. I'd do something to increase their readability, like add an outer glow on them, perhaps a black outer glow, or something else like that.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Very, very nice. Really one of the better maps I have seen posted to the guild for some time.

Two nitpicks:
    - Like Karro I find the country names to be very difficult to read (sometimes impossible).
    - I am not too fond of the fact some places haven't been named. I would have removed them myself I think... I can understand why you decided to keep them though.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Using fonts for flavor I am all for but turning down the opacity on them is only good for fat/bold/easily readable fonts. Low opacity + script/thin fonts = hard to read. However it sorta works for that one country name that is white so maybe do them all that way or increase the brightness of the others. You can increase the brightness of a color by changing the numbers on the color picker...the closer you get to 255 (in RGB mode) the brighter it will get. So for like a bright pink I would go 255 red 224 green and 240 blue. For a bright yellow I go 255, 255, 192. And so on and so on.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, I went back and fixed the country title fonts, I can't believe I missed them, they were on the top of my to do lists . I added an outer glow and a bevel to make them stand out, however, these names will be removed from the individual regional maps.

@Gandwarf, Im thinking of removing the unnamed lesser settlements, not sure if i will though. I like having them there because they make the countries seem more populated but without names they do look a little... off. Its just that coming up with 300+ in Adallis is just something I wouldn't be able to able handle now. So below I've attached a copy of the map with the new country labels and all unnamed lesser settlements removed, I admit it does look a little cleaner.

I will have to update the legend now that I have a large gap, any ideas as to what I can put in there? How am I doing now, any problems?

Also, if anyone is interested I've added my formal Adallis name under the title. Try saying that really fast

-D-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adallia Main.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.33 MB 
ID:	16701  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Holy Schmolies! I don't look in this thread for a few days, and all of a sudden you've got this awesome thing of beauty posted. Damn, that's a sweet map...

*wipes envious drool away*

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast