Thread: Dread R'lyeh

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Really like the sub-water features. Any technique tips you will share?

A long time back I was trying to get a good way to make some underwater features but never got any great ideas...

-Rob A>
    Craters!

Seriously, i got some good craters from the moon and mars, and played with them a bit. First I started with overlaying a fullsize texture map of Mars, stretched it out so the icecaps didn't show, played with the transparency so the clouds still showed through from the original layer underneath. Next layer was a texturemap I found of clouds to wrap around a globe (for rendering Earth), select range and deleted the black so I just had clouds, I forget what I did to that layer for lighting, I'll check later (the wife is yelling at me saying we need to go for dinner, heh).

Then I grabbed the neatest looking crater for the big one in the middle of the continent. I actually reused that one for the deapsea trenches as well, with judicious resizing, distorting, erasing, changing transparency, editing curves, and overlay.

Same with the other features, just grabbed what was neat, adjusted so the colour would fit, desaturated when necessary, and used Overlay.

Fun!

Oh, and almost forgot, I used a similar bevel to the Shelf layer on the earth-clouds layer, but no others.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Yeah, the underwater features here looks really awesome. The above-surface map looks good, too, mind but that's some great underwater topography (bathymetry, I guess )
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...