Thread: Introduction and request for advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

First off- Ravs made a great suggestion. That is an excellent reference.

Second off, I'll give a kick at the can from first impressions, cause world building is FUN!

The first thing that jumped out at me was the distinct crater(?) in the NE. I decided this was a recent (geologically) event caused by a meteor impact. It disrupted the local terrain, and has left residual radiation that makes the area impassible.

I chose a dominant wind direction that makes the interior sea incredible violent. From this I picked out possible harbor location for sea-travel (blue circles).

Then I threw in a mountain chain that explains the existence of the narrow isthmus on the W side. This is also virtually impassible. The chain loops cw and ends at the odd shaped island I decided is a volcanic atoll (from the shape)

Based on the wind direction, and the mountain placement, as well as the distance from the equator, I filled in other terrain.

The next big step is rivers which I didn't get to.

Re: trade routes - follow the contours of the land. use water (#1 river, #2 coastal travel, #3 land) as much as possible, preferred over land routes. Remember, people started building canals before they built rail lines even!

Then communities start at the intersection of trade routes....land/land land/sea or at start points of trade routes (sources of resources....mines/quarries in the mountains, agricultural areas, locations of timber...)

Agriculture springs up to support these centers...

Just like realestate... location, location, location

HTH-

-Rob A>
    Last edited by RobA; 04-27-2010 at 10:19 AM.