Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ghoraja Juun - Istria (finally)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wip Latest Update

OK here we are with the latest update.

I reworked the desert/wastes a bit so they weren't so bright and over-powering. Finished adding the rest of the major terrain features. Still a bit up in the air about the 'maelstroms' but it was the best I could come up with.

I've started the labeling as well and came to the realization that the names on my old, crappy maps just weren't going to work. So it's going to be a long process of naming the major features and adding the various cities/city-states.

So take a look, let me know what you like, don't like, etc. and we'll see where it takes me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Istria_Redux-4.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	15789  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this revised continent shape; looks much, much better. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I still think that the desert pattern is too heavy, lower the opacity on that and put the color back in. Just give us a hint, make us go "Ooo what is that?" This reminds me of the guy wearing way too much cologne in the elevator. But then again, it's your map so, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I still think that the desert pattern is too heavy, lower the opacity on that and put the color back in. Just give us a hint, make us go "Ooo what is that?" This reminds me of the guy wearing way too much cologne in the elevator. But then again, it's your map so, shrug.
    I've already lowered the opacity quite a bit (down to about 60%), I tried changing the various layer styles and all that good stuff, and it just didn't give me what I wanted. It's pretty close right now, but I may tweak it some more tonite if I have a chance to work on it. Maybe I need to change the entire texture...Hmmm

@Diamond - Thanks, I like the shape better as well.
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-12-2009 at 07:14 AM.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I liked the map! The realistic style is appealing to me, I may have to crack out an attempt in photoshop sometime. I also checked out your site, looks good.

@Skaryn - Thanks, I should have a map update to post later today, though the labeling is taking way longer that I had thought.

Like my sig says, my home brew site has stagnated quite a bit, I'm hoping that getting these continental maps done will get me motivated to get some long needed updates and newer content added to it.

Wip Today's Update

OK, the terrain has been finalized. I've tinkered with the large desert/waste area endlessly - it's still not 100% what I wanted, but close enough.

I've done a lot of the labeling (though there's still a bit to do yet - including the cities/city-states). I've purposely kept it a bit subdued, but if you find any of it overly difficult to read let me know.

For this continent I went a head and decided to use Tagalog (Filipino) as a base for many of the names with english for words like river, sea, ocean, etc.

I hope to have the rest of the labeling done in the next day or so, though I am still looking for a suitable set of city icons.

As always C&C encouraged and appreciated...

Name:	Istria_Redux-5.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	4.58 MB 
ID:	15916  

Map Latest update

Today's update:

1. Labeling finished (though I may go back through it one final time)
    2. Added scale (though no scale bar)

I think that about wraps this one up. Unless someone finds a major goof I overlooked or sees that one of the names I came up with is a really derogatory term in some language.

I have found something I hate doing more than rivers, and that is labeling! I normally don't label anything but the major cities and terrain features, but I felt the need to go a little further on this than normal.

Anyhoo...as always C&C encouraged, appreciated, etc.

Name:	Istria_Redux-7.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.67 MB 
ID:	15954  

I like it SG. Didn't see any weird stuff.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I have found something I hate doing more than rivers, and that is labeling!
    Really? That's always my favorite part, the part where you can let your literary imagination really run wild. In any case, I like your naming scheme; very exotic and evocative of jungle realms.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast