Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ghoraja Juun - Istria (finally)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Coming up with names is fun, sure, but placing everything so that it's legible and clear yet "cool" looking is a pain and takes forever. Looks good to me SG. I guess what I was thinking of as a desert is more like a badlands kind of place so I get it now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I guess what I was thinking of as a desert is more like a badlands kind of place so I get it now.
    Yeah I couldn't quite get the desert look that I wanted, so I changed direction a bit, and I think it worked out better in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Really? That's always my favorite part, the part where you can let your literary imagination really run wild.
    Thanks, it's not so much that I dislike coming up with the names as I dislike how much time it takes to place them on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    In any case, I like your naming scheme; very exotic and evocative of jungle realms.
    As I noted in a earlier post, I used Tagalog (Filipino) as a base for the names. I'm sure my wife would look at it and laugh.
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-16-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    As I noted in a earlier post, I used Tagalog (Filipino) as a base for the names. I'm sure my wife would look at it and laugh.
    There's a lot of doubled vowels. Out of curiosity, what does that mean for pronounciation?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    There's a lot of doubled vowels. Out of curiosity, what does that mean for pronounciation?
    I never really gave it that much thought. It's really more a way to separate it from the spelling conventions we are used to.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    I never really gave it that much thought. It's really more a way to separate it from the spelling conventions we are used to.
    So, it's really more for visual appeal?

I usually try to consider how a word is supposed to be pronounced in my head, though I probably often fail to make it clear. I've been trying harder, recently, to use consistent spelling conventions - or at least consistent within individual linguistic contexts.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

So, it's really more for visual appeal?
    For the most part.

I usually try to consider how a word is supposed to be pronounced in my head, though I probably often fail to make it clear. I've been trying harder, recently, to use consistent spelling conventions - or at least consistent within individual linguistic contexts.
    I do somewhat sound it out in my head when I'm 'mashing' things together. But I don't make notes as to what the pronunciation would be.

I took a minute or two and grabbed a couple of names of the map, here's how I see the pronunciation:

• Tuurgaar = Toor-gahr
    • Umaag = Oo-mog
    • Ghuuro = G-oo-row

Like many languages, pronunciations would vary slightly by region.
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-17-2009 at 01:03 PM.

You sure have gone right way with the shape of the continent and with overall look. I sometimes share your opinion about the labeling. It can sometimes be troublesome, but then again sometimes real fun...

Finished map posted in appropriate forum...thanks for all of the various feedback/suggestions/critiques/etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345