Thread: Why is Australia mostly desert?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Because it's on the Tropic of Capricorn. The worst deserts are on this line and the Tropic of Cancer. Sure there are exceptions like the Gobi and the US southwest but these areas are the way they are because of low precipitation while the ones on the tropic lines are the way that they are because of the angle to the sun making them hotter. At least, this is what I remember from school...I'm sure someone will pop up in a bit with a wiki link. If you want this place to be a desert and it's not on a tropic line then put a wall of mountains in the west that kind of wraps around a bit to the north and south. Otherwise it will get a lot of rain from storms.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

I think Ascension is right about the tropics, except for one point: it's not because of the sun baking things (although that's what makes it a HOT desert), but it's still because of rainfall... Basically, because of the Coriolis Effect, wind patterns are driving moisture to and away from certain places. In the case of the Tropics, wind patterns are driving moisture away from those lines and toward either the Equatorial region (where we see a lot of hot, steamy rainforests) or toward the Temperate regions above and below the Tropics.

The Gobi and the Desert Southwest are caused by Rainshadow.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...