Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Planar Gates Region

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Be careful of using red labels over green (even if they have an outline/glow) - the whole color-blindness thing comes into play.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blended the swamp/jungle colors, added steam to mouth of the lava flow, added the rest of the labels and roads, and recolored the labels.

I'm uncertain about the steam. To my eye, anyway, it's not bad enough to be clearly worse than the map without steam, but it's not good enough to be clearly better either.

I'm also not happy with the new label color. I've yet to find something that looks as good as the red. I think a key problem is that I want the whole map to use the same color label, and most of the other colors I tried clashed pretty horribly with something. I've uploaded two versions with my two favorite label color schemes, or if someone has other label color suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlanarGates3.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	15282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlanarGates3b.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	15283  

Hmm, I agree you should change the label color. Especially over the green areas it's very hard to read. Not sure about the steam either...
    Did you check this thread? The map has a volcano and the steam turned out great eventually. Maybe it will give you some inspiration.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6138
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes, the swamps look more like swamps now, for sure!

As to label colouring.. Hrm. I'll need to think on that.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

For the labels...maybe try white text with a darker glow/stroke (have to experiment with the colors).

The steam isn't bad, but you might look for a realistic clouds tutorial and maybe base it off of that.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Hmm. The updates are looking good.

As for label color, why not the old standby: black with a white outerglow?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Thanks for the continued help everyone.

I can't believe I didn't think of black and white for the labels. I'm quite happy with how that worked out. It sounds a bit plain, but it doesn't look all that plain, and it's decidedly more legible than the other colors and doesn't clash either.

I poked around at the steam a bit and didn't get anything I liked more. Gandwarf, I looked at the thread you mentioned, and while the smoke there does like beautiful, I'm looking for more of a light white steam than a dark tumultuous smoke. The only thread I could find on clouds was this one, which I didn't find too helpful: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4458

I think I may set the steam aside for a bit and hope that mulling over it in the back of my mind will lead to inspiration.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlanarGates4.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	15294  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

FWIW, I liked the red labels (I'm not colorblind, and the contrast looked good to me), but black and white is pretty standard and classic, and since colorblindness is not that unusual a problem, probably a good choice.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    FWIW, I liked the red labels (I'm not colorblind, and the contrast looked good to me), but black and white is pretty standard and classic, and since colorblindness is not that unusual a problem, probably a good choice.
    Yeah, agreed. I'm probably going to use a red-label version with my group, but post black-label versions online, since I know everyone in my group rather well but am uncertain who would be looking at the map online.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12