View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of a weapon/armor design challange?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 77.78%
  • No

4 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Design weapons/armor for the maps we make

Post Design weapons/armor for the maps we make

As I am new here I do not know if this type of challenge ever takes place.
    But what if we had a "make weapons for people's maps" challenge.

Challenge:
    1) Design up to 4 weapons that could be used as visual elements in dungeon based maps such as: Swords, shields, axes, and helms.
    2) Name them
    3) Give them back stories
    4) Explain their supernatural powers.
    Because sometimes the best part of D&D is getting a new weapon.
    And wouldn't it be better to see what the Sword of Eternal Pain looks like instead of just knowing its name?

What do you think?

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's a neat Idea, I'm all about embellishing the maps and adding design elements to them

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not what we would usually think of pertaining to maps but there are 2 places this could be used:

1 as map elements/set dressing to put in the corners of a map for decorative purposes
    2 making elements for dungeon/structure scale to fill our dungeons with

I like the idea and it would be kinda cool to "take a lil time off" from actually drawing maps and do something different and fun. I've never actually drawn just armor but I have drawn people wearing it and fighting monsters in it. I also think that maybe you could include phasers for the sci-gi guys and maybe some Lugers for the alternate earth guys. Depending on which way it goes then I think a full set of icons would be good for number 2 and more artsy stuff would be good for number 1.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Not what we would usually think of pertaining to maps but there are 2 places this could be used:

1 as map elements/set dressing to put in the corners of a map for decorative purposes
    2 making elements for dungeon/structure scale to fill our dungeons with

I like the idea and it would be kinda cool to "take a lil time off" from actually drawing maps and do something different and fun. I've never actually drawn just armor but I have drawn people wearing it and fighting monsters in it. I also think that maybe you could include phasers for the sci-gi guys and maybe some Lugers for the alternate earth guys. Depending on which way it goes then I think a full set of icons would be good for number 2 and more artsy stuff would be good for number 1.
    My ideas was basically for the second note you made. And as far as teh different weapon classes, if it takes off and people like it, we could have different challenges for each era.

But if it is desired, maybe start off with making elements for dungeons set in the medieval period (axes, sword, helms, etc) and then go from there.

I do like this idea, but mainly if they could be used for decorative purposes in maps. Still, elements for dungeon/structure maps would also be cool. I would like to see more user made stuff on this forum.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I'm forever searching google for art to add in to things (and now maps, heh).

Having a central database of reliable images would be great.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Always nice to have additional decorative touches or actual mapping elements to add to a map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I'm forever searching google for art to add in to things (and now maps, heh).

Having a central database of reliable images would be great.
    For map objects, there's no greater resource than the Dundjinni user forums.
    http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp?C=4
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I just may have to sign up there...

My finished maps

Here is what i had in mind. All made with photoshop, blending modes, some brushes. Only thing I did not do was the stone floor.
    1) .PNG with transparency for overlay on tile
    2) Stone floor with some visual tweaks and a few drops of blood to touch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WM_sword1.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	15350   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WM_sword_scene_tile.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	546.9 KB 
ID:	15351  
    Last edited by WidowMakers; 07-31-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast