Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** August 09 Challenge - Create a city map for Kaidan (sponsored) ***

Blog Entries

From Gamerprinter:
    Actually if you designed for an 11" x 17" at 300 ppi, it might ideal for my needs
    So that would be 3300 x 5100 to be a perfect fit for him. Oh and I should point out that you can post a half size or quarter size one as WIPs or whatever and give him the biggy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    From Gamerprinter:

So that would be 3300 x 5100 to be a perfect fit for him. Oh and I should point out that you can post a half size or quarter size one as WIPs or whatever and give him the biggy at the end.
    Thank you very much. Now that I have that all figured out, I can start the simple task of creating a very elaborate and complex map for the first time ever. Woo Hoo.

EDIT: I apologize. I completely missed this question being answered on the first page. I need to open my eyes first.
    Last edited by WidowMakers; 08-01-2009 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WidowMakers View Post
    ...Now that I have that all figured out, I can start the simple task of creating a very elaborate and complex map for the first time ever. Woo Hoo.

Absolutely Brilliant
    Something witty and pithy

Post About that stream...

About that stream, when I originally created for Tanaka's Challenge, I imagined a mountain higher behind the castle, which I didn't put in this map. So just take that elevated section section where the Samurai district is and remove it altogether. The bottom of the hill is the start of the samurai district.

I will update the map reference to reflect that.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 08-02-2009 at 03:43 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post Some bridge references...

Since Immolate is working with a bridge to cross the river, and there are some questions regarding that, I thought I'd post a couple more reference pieces of bridges to help in the decision. In case anyone else is thinking "bridges", this might help them too.

While I know for sure that there existed "man-made islands" basically free standing piers with buildings on top, then connected to the city via small bridges and one large bridge reaching the other side, I'm not sure of "London Bridge" types with actual permanent homes built on river crossing bridges existed in Japan.

However, remember this is not Japan, and I am not opposed to something like that appearing in a city of two of Kaidan.

Still I"ve found two Ukiyo-e prints of Japanese bridges. The first one shows how far a bridge will cross a wide expanse of water, and its quite wide to be sure. The second image, though a night-time painting, shows potentially how wide such bridges were, and it looks wider than two carts passing, so that's something to consider also. (Note: those are fire works being shot in the air, in the second bridge reference.)

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge1.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	130.5 KB 
ID:	15434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	15435  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I am betting that this one is going to be super fun to watch. The different styles that will present themselves will be amazing.
    Something witty and pithy

Blog Entries

I look at the boards using the quick links latest posts and I saw the Oten Jo city as part of the challenge from somebody and I thought I only just looked at the Oten Jo entry. There doesn't seem to be many other people making any other cities this month....

I hope everyone else here is not as dose as me.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm doing three cities, two continents, and one regional map right now...plus a city tut. I might get some time by the end of the month to get something started but probably not finished.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I've gotta say, this has really piqued my interest – I've never done a city map before. I'm going to have to wrap my head around the scale involved here, having never mapped more than a few buildings together.

Determining what level of detail I can put in the houses at that size will also be tricky... I'm going to have to do some print tests.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

I had begun to at least try and participate in this one, but the preferred size of the image slows my system down so much that it's just no fun to work on. Meep!

Another reason to invest in a new machine.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast