Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Town Tutorial

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

They're images. Unzip, put it someplace where you can remember, open the image in PS then click on Edit - Define Pattern.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I lose track whilst still on the everything looks like odd clouds stage- step 29.
    What exactly are you meant to be doing here? Where should you be to set the fill of a layer? Where should textures be for photoshop to let you use them?

If you look on the layer stack (or layer palette as it is often called) you will see the word Opacity and just under that is Fill. Textures are different than Patterns. Although, they are, in reality, interchangeable, PS only has a few loaded into the textures folder on your hard drive (they are used in various filters like Texturizer). Patterns can put there but it isn't all that important. Patterns can be found on your hard drive in a folder called Adobe/Photoshop/Presets/Patterns.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Blog Entries

I haven't read this tutorial yet but I do intend to. I'd just like to say though that even though I haven't read it I consider this to be one of the greatest tutorials on here.
    This tutorial has been directly responsible for two recent Cartographer's Choice maps and turns out stunning results time and again. (I didn't even realise that Coyotemax's map had its basis in this tutorial until after the fact.)

I'm sure they put their own spin on their work but I'm also sure they'd agree that the look and style of their maps is completely down to this tut.

Wonderful tutorial.
    Last edited by Ramah; 11-01-2009 at 04:40 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thanks, bro

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes, full credit where it's due to Ascension for the tutorial. I did put my own spin on things (especially for the second version of the map, that made it to the feature) but it would naver have a>happened at all or b>looked anywhwere near as cool without Ascension's wisdom and willingness to impart his knowledge.

*bows to the mastah*

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanx for this tutorial. It's working wonders.

One question, the zip seems to be missing the crystal4 and Ornament1 patterns.

I looked all through my Adobe files, I dont' have very many patterns. Is there a place I could download these???

PS: I gave you some rep.

Ornament 1 is a default brush that is part of a set, it should be in a folder called Adobe/Photoshop/Presets/Brushes...not sure which set it is in, though. The crystals4 is a pattern that I must have omitted, sorry for that. I'll put it here and then redo the zip.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crystals4.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	18294  

Post Its very nice

i tried the tutoiral but i have gimp and i had photoshop but when i changed operating system i dont anymore so i couldnt follow tutoiral but the image looks GREAT =D keep up the good work.

Hmm several times in the tutorial it refers to attached images for the purposes of determining PS settings, but there are no images of that sort in the download. Am I missing something? I really cannot seem to make this tutorial work well without them.
    Last edited by SSJPabs; 11-14-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast