Thread: Help with tectonics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I can't help you with the tectonics (I largely ignore them on my maps), but you have the makings of a nice map here, some great land shapes to start with.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Having trod the tectonics road before, in my own map, I think that generally yours currently looks pretty good. Projection-wise, though, it looks a bit odd. You've got a squarish sort of map projection here, which means if this were to be put in a standard Mercator-ish projection (2-to-1 aspect ratio) this would experience a lot of stretching. Either that or the plates along the west and east edges have a lot of empty material missing.

So, if you continue down this road, I'd take that into consideration. Additionally, I'd take into consideration now (before it grows too late to change and comes to bother you later) that your continental shapes will be subject to some polar distortion at the north and south poles. In other words, if you map this to a sphere, you'll get some very odd-looking warping at the north and south. I'm not expert here (my own map fails miserably at the poles, so I speak from that experience) on how to fix that, but there are some threads on some ways to get some accurate, and aesthetically pleasing, polar distortion, so it might be a good idea to do that now, while in the black-and-white stages if you think that might be important later on.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...