Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Oten'jo - River City

Post Good work!

Good work, Immolate!

I appreciate the amount of work required for this city map challenge I sponsored. I kind of wished I picked an easier format - wilderness area, village, etc, which I may yet do later in the year. But I need city maps, so its why I did so for this challenge.

I say, thank you all participants for the level of commitment this type of map requires and the great efforts shown thus far. I promise even those who don't win the challenge, you'll get an immense level of satisfaction in completing a city map and be able to place it in your portfolio as a keystone project.

Thanks for all your efforts.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is really coming along nicely... you're a lot further along than I am.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Another long day of city building in between the mowing of the lawn and the making of the dinner. I have added the residential, temple and samurai areas, leaving only the castle zone untouched.

You may notice a lack of accessories such as trees and shrubs. I haven't forgotten, but I haven't gotten to that yet. I get a lot of pleasure from that sort of thing, so I want to leave it until last. Now the fact that I like it does not mean that I'm any good at it. That will be for the rest of you to decide.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten'Jo2.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	16176

You made some great progress!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Added castle zone buildings, bridges, and three horses! Of course at this scale, they may be a challenge to find. I spent a good bit of time going through the map and fixed stuff that wasn't working for me. It is amazing how much time you can spend just tweaking and polishing when you still have a lot of work left to do.

Had to bring the quality level down a bit as I've exceeded the board limit on JPG's.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten'Jo2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	16201

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Those obsidian black roofs are cool and the horses look fine to me. I spend about 90% of my time tweaking, readjusting, experimenting, and playing. If I ever did a map the same way as the previous one it might actually go a lot faster but wouldn't be as much fun
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-23-2009 at 10:05 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like everything you've done, except your river water - I think it's to green.

But if you are happy with it, than it's all good.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

There is a lot I like about this map, but the bridge really takes the cake. I think the large amount of detail around it really helps to make it a focus of the map. Also, I dig the black roofs.

I have a few bits of feedback. First, the water is very green (whether or not that's your color blindness or intentional I'm not sure). Also, I think it would be nice if there was some effect with the river noise that helped it to follow the river's path. That "cloud" noise I think looks ok on oceans where there is no direction, but on rivers I usually like to see the course of the river represented. Finally, maybe add some trees to the courtyards?

Blog Entries

Excellent feedback all. The green is my color sense failing me... sorry about that. Red/Green color-blindness is more about green than red. I'll address that. Also the "flow" of the water. The trees are on the docket for tonight. I haven't started them yet.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast