Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Westeros made with Pasis' tutorial

Ah, well. My hats off for that, too. It's definitely the most beautiful map of the Seven Kingdoms I've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
    That's a tremendously beautiful map. I'm one of the founders of Westeros.org (and have done most of the work in regards to things like the Concordance) and I do think you'll find it useful for some of the details.
    Thank you. It's nice to get to know the guy who wrote all the fiddly bits I have been reading recently.

We're currently contracted to co-author The World of A Song of Ice and Fire with George, and could certainly point the map out to him if you haven't done so yourself (though he's soon off to Worldcon).
    Feel free to point it out to him if you want to. This is just a fan project, after all. I didn't write an e-mail myself, yet.

I made my own stab at a map of Westeros (purely in a graphics program, Campaign Cartographer is beyond me), which is think the most complete that currently exists, incorporating all information from all the maps.
    Your map was a great help trying to nail all the locations down!
    Some of mine might be a tad speculative, but they are at least supported by your writing.
    In cases where I was too unsure, I didn't add anything.

I believe I have the same issue in regards to Sun House/Sunflower Hall, something I need to see about, but otherwise I think it's fairly accurate.
    I just thought the location should either be a town called "Sun House" or a castle called "Sunflower Hall", because it's actually both, apparently.
    Since the seat of the house seemed more important to me than a small, insignificant town, I went for the latter.
    I made a similar decision concerning The Red Dunes / Vaith in Dorne.
    Also, the name of Sea Road / Ocean Road was a bit unclear.
    I am thankful for any help .

We host a number of fan-created maps of Westeros there, and I think we'd be very pleased if we could host your own map (or provide a thumbnail and link through to your own site) should you be interested when you've finalized it. If you'd like to discuss it, you can contact me at webmaster@westeros.org
    No problem at all. You can host it if you want to. As I said earlier, this is a fan project, nothing more.

Oh, one detail that immediately springs to mind is the location of Starfall. GRRM's stated that it's in fact an island. I think I'd nudge your symbol for it just a smidge to the left, as there's a bit too much land showing between it and the river currently.
    Ah, thanks. That's some valuable information.

And now that I think of it -- and this is just a suggestion -- but I think introducing more red into the Dornish mountains would be a good idea. The "red mountains of Dorne" are one of the first geographic details we have of that region. And for that matter, representing the more arid, desert climate of Dorne (much as you've shown the colder, more icy climate of the far North) could help provide some additional color and contrast while at the same time better representing the geography.
    Good point. I used a slight reddish tint for Dorne, but now that I'm looking at it again, it's probably too weak. I'll make sure it's more intense in the next version.

Thank you for all the help. I'm open for all suggestions.
    Last edited by Tear; 08-04-2009 at 06:22 PM.

Latest version:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westeros_wip5.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	15659  

It's ridiculously beautiful. I don't know what details to praise, because everything just works so well together. It's just fun to explore.

I took your text label style and used it in a recent map myself, so thanks for the inspiration there.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Like it very much...after spending a few more minutes looking it over I have some additional comments/questions/suggestions.

1. Tarth - It's called the emerald isle, like my earlier comment regarding the vale I think it needs to appear a bit more lush.
    2. Did you purposely leave off Peter Baelish's "castle" in the fingers? Can't remember if it actually shows up on any of the maps. Same with the Mormont home on Bear Island.
    3. Usually not a big fan of red text on maps (with or without an outer glow), but your's works wonderfully.

Again, great work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    1. Tarth - It's called the emerald isle, like my earlier comment regarding the vale I think it needs to appear a bit more lush.
    2. Did you purposely leave off Peter Baelish's "castle" in the fingers? Can't remember if it actually shows up on any of the maps. Same with the Mormont home on Bear Island.
    3. Usually not a big fan of red text on maps (with or without an outer glow), but your's works wonderfully.
    1. Another good point. It went straight to my to-do list.
    2. I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact locations yet. If you have any text passages or other sources that might help, please post. As I said, I'm thankful for any hints.
    3. I know it's somewhat unusual. I tried to keep the saturation down, so I hope this helps a bit on the eye-hurting side. The main purpose is as an additional way to identify castle names quickly, opposed to towns and other locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaterectomy View Post
    I took your text label style and used it in a recent map myself, so thanks for the inspiration there.
    You are most welcome. I wasn't too sure myself if this would work.
    Last edited by Tear; 08-08-2009 at 07:30 PM.

I did some last tweaking with the water and some other details, so I'm calling this one pretty close to finished.

I'm still open to and also thankful for any more suggestions, but I'm eager to move on to other projects, so now's the time I guess.

Thanks to all who helped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westeros_wip6.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	15723  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That is, hands down, the best Westeros map I've ever seen. I gnash my teeth in envy at your skill!

Hopefully if GRRM sees this it'll give him the motivation to stop screwing around and finish the #!@$! series...

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    [...] stop screwing around and finish the #!@$! series...
    You just summed up what all the fans are thinking.
    Just kidding, of course.

...or am I?

Last edited by Tear; 08-09-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AslanC View Post
    As I said earlier... loving it

Oh yes and... Winter is coming.

But not this year... and probably not next year. Possibly the year after that, but don't get your hopes up.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast