Very brief post here, and not really an update.

I wanted to get an idea of what things would look like at full resolution (I'll never be able to post the full sized map because of size and time outs), so I zoomed in by a factor of 4 and rendered another 12 by 12 version of a more localized region. It details an area of approximately 44 miles north/south and east/west. It is, for the most part, a fairly close approximation of what the map should look like, sans the extra features, once it is rendered at full size and printed (intended to be 48 inches by 48 inches).

I've played with some of the coloring, trying to give the "bare stone" a darker look, as well as trying to add a bit more variation to the snow caps. I'm pretty happy with the "bare stone" look now, but may tweak it just a tiny bit more at some point. I think, though, that I'll have to do a bit more work with the snow caps as they still seem just a bit too "solid" in some areas. I may be able to adjust this with some slight alterations in coloring along with a few more "highlights."

I did this render mostly to get a better idea of what the "players" will see when the map is laid out on the table, so to speak. As before, I haven't added in any extra features just yet (i.e. forests, lakes and rivers), and I have as yet to rebuild the mountains.

In terms of rebuilding the mountains, not only is it my intention to add to those that already exist, but I'm also aiming to get a better transition from low to high elevations. As it stands right now, too many of the existing mountains appear to have overly aggressive/steep slopes. While this would be fine for a few of the mountains, it is a little too frequent at this point.

All in all, though, I'm just about satisfied with the "base" look of the map as far as coloring goes. I'll probably tweak the base "vegetation" at some point so that forests, plains and barren lands (including deserts) stand out fairly well, but that won't happen until I've started masking them in.

GW