Thread: Hearthstone Saga - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

About the only comment I would have besides "nice progress" ( ) would be in terms of the snowcaps - but I see it's already on your to-do list. I'm not familiar with the prog you're using, so I don't know specific techniques or limitations, but in terms of look I would suggest a bit more of a transition if possible, they go straight from bare rock to solid snow.

Nice work though!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Right now, the snow caps are being handled by elevation and slope constraints only (internal Terragen features). Eventually, I'll do a distribution mask for them to get better control of where they appear, then lay highlights over the mask based on elevation and slope constraints.

That's one of the downside to using Terragen. While it includes both "fuzziness" and "noise" sliders for elevation and slope constraints, it's really difficult to get a nice transition without adding in several surface layers. Additionally, those elevation and slope constraints are applied to the entire file based on elevation and slope rather than being applied to specific regions, but that's where the distribution masks come in handy, even though they drastically increase the rendering time.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Just a quick and dirty experiment to see if I could "loosen-up" the transition between bare rock and snow through the use of a distribution mask. The process worked out fairly well, but I'll have to refine it a bit. Still, better than the crisp/sudden transition from before. I'm definitely going to have to play with the coloring a bit to give it a nicer look, but wanted to get an idea of how the process was going to have to work before heading off to work myself.

While it isn't much progress on the actual map, it is progress on the technique, which is equally important where this project (and future projects) are concerned. And it's giving me ideas about how I'll approach the development of forests and other terrain features, so it's all good in my book.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges