Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon
One of my favorite parts of maps--and speculative fiction & fantasy in general--is a set of good names. This basically means, of course, a realistic-sounding language, for as Tolkien has so prominently shown, both coherence and coordination in a fictional language can have an amazing power.

(And, by the way, the opposite is also true: a poorly created language affords only silly, stale, or clunky place names. Pop fantasy is full of this, but take Christopher Paolini as the top of
"almost decent" language makers: he tries so hard but has no ear for it, IMO & from what little I've been subjected to of his writing.)

So I thought I'd start a thread here for good places to create names (ie, language) either by a program or a rule set. One I like is here, for it's simple & quick: http://www.gmmastery.com/index.php?p...ource&obj=name

Take care
Hehe, that looks vaguely familiar! Having used the method described in the article Pyrandon linked, let me state that it LOOKS very involved and tedious but in reality it works rather well and actually gave me a slew of names on my first go round!

Having said that, I also love the ease and power of the Everchanging Book of Names.